Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

are bootcut jeans out?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tuba74, May 2, 2008.

1. tuba74

tuba74 Member

So are bootcut jeans out? Im not talking about the old navy fit boot fit. theyre too loose. Im talking about true religion, flare boot fit. Im so used to that look that when I tried on slim fit straight cut jeans, it just look weird how the pants break on my pointy aldo shoes. I have broad shoulders and the boot fit balances my silhouette not like with slim fit- look like an upside down triangle.

Maybe im just trying on the wrong pairs of jeans. Can anyone recommend a nice straight cut jeans brand?

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

no way. i think to a certain degree, they can be quite awesome. i think they work well for more top-heavy persons or muscular persons

3. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

My suggestion would be to look for a cut similar to the Nudie Straight Sven (which is now discontinued but can sometimes still be found); this model is cut perfectly for a person like yourself in the sense that it's slim enough to be fashionable, but will work with your proportions. It has a leg opening between 8 and 8.5ish which is about the maximum I can personally stand.

It is a true straight fit, but ends up looking a bit like a boot-cut once it sits/stacks on your shoes.

(Another possible alternative would be an APC Rescue sized down 2 or even 3.)

Oh, and ditching the "pointy" shoes helps get rid of the upside-down triangle effect as well because they work to accentuate the slimness of denim.

4. benjaminarnold

benjaminarnold Well-Known Member

no, they're not out, but true religion is

5. Studio27

Studio27 Senior member

boot cuts can look good, "flarez," however, can not.

6. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

The true-religion flared bootcut is very unflattering; if you want some nice denim that isn't too skinny, I would say that one of the best bootcut jeans available is the Low-down bootcut from 5ep, which they sell in washed and raw forms. They have some straight-leg models as well they are going to be a bit slimmer. One of the forum affilliates, Dresscodes of Atlanta, has some 5ep denim at very reasonable prices. http://www.dresscodesatl.com/5ep.html
    You can also get some really nice straight-leg jeans from Kicking Mule Workshop, which has some of the best quality/price ratio out there, and a good selection of models. You can use a forum discount on these at Denimbar as well, so they end up being about $200 shipped.
    http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...10&ALL_ITEMS=Y
    Either way, comb through the various forum affiliates and I am sure you can find something you like, that is a much higher quality than True Religion, and probably less expensive as well.

7. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Good point Oxnard.

The KMW 1980s would suit the OP quite well.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

9. Deluks917

Deluks917 Senior member

Good point Oxnard.

The KMW 1980s would suit the OP quite well.

KMW 1980's suit everyone but they are not exactly bootcut, slightly tapered if anything.

10. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i hate bootcut personally and think they make people look like fobs or guidos.

11. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Try the Nudie Regular Ralf.

They're a pretty subtle bootcut. They look good on a lot of different body types.

12. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

KMW 1980?? That is a tapered jean which generally look bad on big guys. Also, I might add that those looking to balance a larger upper body are better off with a regualar or slightly trim fitting straight leg jean than they are with a slim or skinny bootcut.

13. June

June Senior member

Slim Jims are also kinda bootcut.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Slim Jims are also kinda bootcut.

"bootcut" does not mean what you think it means

15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I think everyone is missing the point here. The OP was requesting a straight fit jean, not a bootcut.

The 1980 is very slightly tapered, but by forum standards it is quite straight. I stand by it as a recommendation for someone looking to get away from a bootcut as the small change leg opening won't be too much of a shock.