• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are bomber jackets ok in a business casual setting?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the impression that when people read the word "bomber jacket" on here, they think of just one design. But this

View attachment 1560261

Interesting. Add a t shirt and cut a pair of jeans mid-calf and I have the gear to be a 61 year old hooligan.

027.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's a CWU-45, yet another type of bomber!

The original neo-nazi style is an MA-1 in green or black nylon.

If people are worried about it, just get a brown suede Valstarino and paint a huge "I LOVE JEWS" on the back.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of the neo nazi connection. I guess I just lead a sheltered life.

Perhaps people in Europe worry about such things. I don’t think they necessarily carry the same baggage here.

just wear a cardigan. At worst, you’ll be compared to Mr. Rogers and not mistaken for Michael Kühnen.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of the neo nazi connection. I guess I just lead a sheltered life.

Perhaps people in Europe worry about such things. I don’t think they necessarily carry the same baggage here.

just wear a cardigan. At worst, you’ll be compared to Mr. Rogers and not mistaken for Michael Kühnen.

Really? I'm surprised you're not aware of the connection. In California during the '90s, that uniform was pretty well associated with skinheads and neo-Nazis. During the '90s, I got chased down the road by skinheads who dressed like that.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I'm surprised you're not aware of the connection. In California during the '90s, that uniform was pretty well associated with skinheads and neo-Nazis. During the '90s, I got chased down the road by skinheads who dressed like that.

I guess I just don’t pay much attention to skinheads and what they wear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nor am I aware that they have a price on my head. Perhaps they do now.

I think you mistook my comment as saying they want to kill you, in particular. I'm saying that, as a non-white person who grew up in California, it helps to be aware of these associations. As I mentioned, I've been chased down by such groups. It just seems strange to me that someone would not be aware of this skinhead uniform.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm saying as a non-white person, it helps to pay attention since these groups want to kill you. As I mentioned, I've been chased down by such groups. It just seems strange to me that someone would not be aware of this skinhead uniform.

well, what can I say. I plead guilty of being ignorant. I don’t live in an area where in need to worry about them though I’m sorry that you’ve had a bad experience with them.

As for what they wear, I’ve received my education. Anyone wearing a bomber jacket is a skinhead.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great options in this thread for bomber jackets. I wear a bomber all the time. The more simple the better it looks while wearing "business casual" outfits to the office.

But I mostly wear it with jeans outside the office

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is the kind of nuance that I was trying to communicate. Good job!

dude, are you going to break my balls over not knowing what skinheads wear? Seriously? I’m a middle aged Caucasian physician. I live a white bread life and I have never even seen a skinhead unless caricatured in a movie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dude, are you going to break my balls over not knowing what skinheads wear? Seriously? I’m a middle aged Caucasian physician. I live a white bread life and I have never even seen a skinhead unless caricatured in a movie.

1. I was only replying to your comment here:

They do carry the same baggage here. That's all I was saying.

2. My earlier posts were pointing out that bomber jackets can take many iterations, and you don't have to look like a skinhead if you wear a bomber jacket. Then you made some stupid comment about how "now I got my education, everyone in a bomber jacket is a skinhead."

JFC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics