• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Barbour Coats for old men (and Farmers)?

69monaro

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a Barbour Beaufort (in blue or sage), but my wife insists that I will look like an old man or a farmer.

I'm not an old man nor a farmer.

Is a Barbour coat acceptable everyday winter attire for rainy weather?

Should I pull the trigger and order the coat?

Cheers,

69Monaro

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 41 and my daughter shows horses. So, depending on your definition, I may be old and may be like a farmer. My Barbour is indispensable when standing around in the wind and rain or when horses are rubbing against me and slobbering in my general direction.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore my Barbour Beafort today in the rain. I'm not old, and I wore it in the city over a sport coat. It certainly has a country aesthetic, but I find it very useful and attractive.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will look old and look like a farmer and look like a fake English man.

goodlife

Reaction score
I got a sage Beaufort just in time for the nasty weather we have had this last week. I was actually the lucky winner of a raffle at the Orvis store here in Chicago. I can't say for sure that I do not look like a old man or farmer, but I find it to be a good compliment to my tan knee length mac. I think I will like it even more when I get the right hood. It is a little rustic for the city, but not inappropriate for kicking around campus or the park, running errands or even going out to the pub/bar or the movies. I would not wear it to the office (if I had a real job) or even to a semi-nice dinner out.

If you decide to get one (especially online) be aware that they run pretty big. I wore my thickest tweed blazer for fit and ended up sizing down from a 42 to a 40. If I had wanted to do the zip in liner and the blazer I probably would have needed the 42.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being 44, I probably would be considered an old man on this board. I love my Barbour Beaufort and have been wearing it constantly the last few weeks. I wear it over sportcoats and I wear it over sweatshirts. It's my go-to fall jacket. I really like the ease of entry front pockets, the hidden chest pocket for my wallet, and the heavy duty zippers.

Had I known what a Barbour jacket was 20 years ago, I would have worn it then too. I think it looks pretty timeless.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
the hidden chest pocket for my wallet

This is a great feature. It is inside the buttons, but outside the zipper. This gives you an extra level of security, but you do not have to expose your torso to the elements to get into the pocket.

kester

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on context and style.

Walking around the city there are far too many full size Barbour sportsquilts around, and you can't help but judge based on that. But a nice Beaufort or some of the waterproofs (not utility) are pretty timeless, in my eyes.

Reaction score
I wore my Barbour Beaufort (blue) today, a rainy day. I don't think it is old-mannish. Generally speaking, don't let the fairer sex dissuade you from things you want.

I wouldn't say it is really a winter coat. More like a transition coat for Fall into Winter, and Winter into Spring.

Probably one of my favorite garments.

mylesmyles

Reaction score
my parents bought me my beaufort when i was 19 years old. I'm 29 now and still beating it to a pulp. I get it waxed evey spring, have had some patches added where tears occured, and i'd say it's an investment my parents got their money's worth out of.

But to answer the question - no - i don't feel old for wearing it.

Reaction score
I have had mine for maybe 5 years and haven't rewaxed it. it does need a patch. and i am thinking of lengthening the sleeves....

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
I have had mine for maybe 5 years and haven't rewaxed it. it does need a patch. and i am thinking of lengthening the sleeves....

When you send it in to have it rewaxed (in New Hampshire somewhere - the Barbour site will direct you), you can have the sleeves lengthened. It's not cheap - it cost a bit over $100 to have it waxed and the sleeves lengthened.

69monaro

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the Barbour.

I suspect that I will be talking about "the good old days" and will be very busy "mending fences in the paddock" shortly after the coat arrives. Time will tell.

Thanks for the comments.

Reaction score
GET OFF MY LAWN!
:shakes fist:

You will not regret the purchase, not even 30 years down the road, when you are in the twilight of your life.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
I'm relatively young at 31 and wouldn't categorize anyone in their 40's as "old men", but while shopping for a winter jacket last Fall at Stollery's in Toronto I was shown some Barbour jackets and I loved them... why? Because I thought it would make a great gift for my 60 year old father who spends a lot of weekends on our farm in the country. It would totally work on him. Definitely not on me.

Barbour are very high quality and functional jackets, but even they themselves describe the Beaufort as a classic country jacket. They're not fooling themselves and so I hope not too many of you, if you live in an urban centre, are fooling yourself. With that said, it is definitely a high quality jacket and I'd say very good value. If you can pull it off then I would suggest you go for it.

At the end of the day, if it's seriously your style then it can work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads