• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are badger brushes real badger hair?

Aiwass

Reaction score
im not a peta freak, but are badger brushes real badger hair?

although its named "badger" brush, the bristles dont really look like badger hair

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, they're from Eurasian badgers. I believe the carcass is used for food.

Either way, there are different grades of badger hair which, like cuts of beef, comes from various parts of the animal's body.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no, they are made from baby seals - but the only way to get them that bristly is to really scare the baby seals before clubbing them to death.

coachvu

Reaction score
If you smell a new badger brush, it smells a bit gamy. Trumper used to have a page discussing the source of their badger hair, but I can't find it on their new website.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder, can one buy 'heads' of pre fastened bristles?

It would be fun to buy bristles and turn my own handles.

WSW

Reaction score
Followup: are beaver brushes made from real beaver hair?
lookaround.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*thread hijack*

Another great product was 'bone combs'. Combs (for hair) which were made from animal bones. They were fantastic and worked sooooo much better (and felt better - especially over time) than plastic.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
*thread hijack*

Another great product was 'bone combs'. Combs (for hair) which were made from animal bones. They were fantastic and worked sooooo much better (and felt better - especially over time) than plastic.

You can still get real horn combs though.

coachvu

Reaction score
*thread hijack*

How exactly do they work better?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
If you smell a new badger brush, it smells a bit gamy. Trumper used to have a page discussing the source of their badger hair, but I can't find it on their new website.

Thats also because many companies put a spray or power on them to prevent mites. Best to shampoo a new brush as soon as you get it.

Kopite

Reaction score
*thread hijack*

Anyone know where you can still get real bone combs? Not those horrid resin ones they have now.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
How exactly do they work better?

Hard to explain without actually feeling or seeing the combs. They were a lot smoother than plastic, slightly softer. One could feel the difference when holding them or running them through the hair (it felt different / smoother on the scalp). They would actually get better with age.

Originally Posted by Kopite
Anyone know where you can still get real bone combs? Not those horrid resin ones they have now.

I don't think one can get bone or horn / ivory combs in America anymore. I'll assume it's because of cost / animal rights / etc.

Kopite

Reaction score
I don't think one can get bone or horn / ivory combs in America anymore. I'll assume it's because of cost / animal rights / etc.

Oh, alright thanks. Perhaps finding a vintage one is my best bet then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads