1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Ascots Gay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Was Thurston Howell III gay? He was married..."not that that proves anything."

I sorta thought he was the archetypal ascot wearer--kind of a pompous, snobbish twit, but not necessarily gay.

I worked in West Hollywood for 14 years; I have lived in East Long Beach for about a like amount of time. I never noticed ascots enjoying any currency with the boys. Only guy in West Hollywood I knew who wore ascots was writer, adventurer and big game hunter Jack Lott (of .458 Lott fame)--nuttier than a fruitcake but not gay.

I seem to recall Hugh Hefner used to wear them. I don't expect it stopped him from getting laid.

I have worn ascots intermittently over the years. I even wore one when I was working in a gas station in a fairly tough part of LA (Western Ave.) to extend my unemployment benefits during my lean years. Nobody ever messed with me, much less beat me up.

Only grief I ever got from wearing an ascot has been from that philistine of a wife of mine.

As for getting laid, if I were still in Singleland, I admit I'd probably eschew the ascot on a first date.

I was planning to wear an ascot to work today. I will still do so. As to its unsuitability for office wear--in some offices, yes, but not in mine, where a lot of men will be in T-shirts, alas.

Just a few musings.

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Was Thurston Howell III gay? He was married..."not that that proves anything."

Are you kidding me? I am certain that Howell had both Ginger and MaryAnn.

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you kidding me? I am certain that Thurston had both Ginger and MaryAnn.

The RJ cat would have concurred.

I confess a weakness for the sort of cashmere-and-silk neckerchieves from Hildeetch Paris and Chat-Bite that Flusser liked so much in Making the Man and Style and the Man. Haven't worn them Stateside though.

4. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

If you are under 30 wearing an ascot would certainly appear gay. The ascots, themselves as objects, are not particularly homosexual.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The ascots, themselves as objects, are not particularly homosexual.
    Are you sure? My cravate drawer sure is manky in the mornings.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Once again.

In my opinion, ascots are an incredibly useful and stylish accessory that are unwearable for me. It is a pity, but they are just too much "look at me" for my taste, though I wear other things, like bowties, that people may say have the same affect.

I think this is less true in countries other than the U.S., or at least that has been my experience.

I did wear them briefly as a college student, and, in retrospect, I think I was being a pompous idiot. It would have been fortunate if someone had taken the trouble to beat me up for it so I might have stopped earlier than I did.

7. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think women would actually like it if men wore more ascots. It`s one of those things that would probably receive positive comments from women, but negative from men.

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Was Thurston Howell III gay?
    Certainly not. I wondered, though, about the Skipper. And maybe the Professor.[​IMG]

And JL, I would've loved to see you pumping gas in your ascot![​IMG]

9. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

10. Comrade Lenin

Comrade Lenin Member

You are only as gay as you feel. Clothes shouldn't dictate orientation.

Well, except for sequins/assless chaps/popped collars/etc

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

so Michael Corleone is gay?

he was gangster. call a guy like that in his position gay. (i understand he's ficitional)

to answer the original question. ascots are not gay. men who wear them are.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Mr. Furley was probably gay, though this was never made explicit. Jack was only pretending to be gay so the prudish landlord Mr. Roper (and later, Mr. Furley) wouldn't have a problem with him shacking up with two women. I don't even recall Jack wearing ascots, but I remember that Furley wore neckerchiefs.

Wow, this is deep and highly plausible.

Where can one find an ascot? I'd love to try one out and see what happens.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Where can one find an ascot? I'd love to try one out and see what happens.

Try www.beautiesltd.com. Note that they have two varieties--one, which is Velcro-fastened, that they call their "ascot" and the other, which is the more classic, that they call their "cravat." I have only purchased their cravats. The Velcro-fastening ones sort of remind me of pre-tied bowties, although one chap PM'ed me and said he found them very satisfactory.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

he was gangster. call a guy like that in his position gay. (i understand he's ficitional)

to answer the original question. ascots are not gay. men who wear them are.

I dont think Vito wore an ascot.

[​IMG]

nope no ascots there, lol.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In Shanghai, ascots were seen as something that a classy gentleman would wear.

16. haganah

haganah Senior member

I like to bring up Johnny Cakes more than Vito, although Vito is pretty hilarious himself.
    I dont think Vito wore an ascot. [​IMG] nope no ascots there, lol.

17. teddieriley

In Shanghai, ascots were seen as something that a classy gentleman would wear.

Glad i don't live in shanghai. isn't it too hot and humid to wear one there?

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Glad i don't live in shanghai. isn't it too hot and humid to wear one there?
    Not in the fall. This idea is one of those old generational things--culled from old Hollywood movies and vaguely outdated Western stereotypes--that has been passed down into the current day. Other things that convey class are pipes, cigarette holders, fine liquors, Western cuisine, Rosemary Clooney, and vintage Rolex.

19. teddieriley

Not in the fall.

This idea is one of those old generational things--culled from old Hollywood movies and vaguely outdated Western stereotypes--that has been passed down into the current day.

Other things that convey class are pipes, cigarette holders, fine liquors, Western cuisine, Rosemary Clooney, and vintage Rolex.

what about a monocle, top hat and cane? those get any love in Shanghai?

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

what about a monocle, top hat and cane? those get any love in Shanghai?
    Those would be too old-fashioned. Most of that classy gear is what remained from the '20s & '30s in Shanghai and stuff filtered in through from the West during the '50s and '60s. Anything Western--and best if it's expensive--is considered a signifier of sophistication.