• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Americans becoming more Lazy?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the local grocery store today to buy some seafood. I could not even maneuver between the widest aisles as everyone used a wheeled cart, not to mention cart-users were obese people who shopped very lightly, a few sodas and frozen meatballs. I was, at a quick glance, the only person using a hand-held basket.
frown.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I went to the local grocery store today to buy some seafood. I can't even maneuver between the widest aisles as everyone uses a wheeled cart, not to mention cart-users tend to be obese people. I was, through a quick glance, the only person using a hand-held basket.
frown.gif

"Becoming more" implies a trend or change. When has the above ever NOT been the case in an American grocery store?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
"Becoming more" implies a trend or change. When has the above ever NOT been the case in an American grocery store?
More of an issue now, esp. during peak hours. I have no room to swing my little basket around. Even Costco now feels crowded.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compared to most other people in the world Americans are generally disgusting lazy pieces of ****.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
More of an issue now, esp. during peak hours. I have no room to swing my little basket around. Even Costco now feels crowded.

Funny, that's actually one of the major reasons why I use the little basket. It's much more maneuverable around the lumbering behemoths with their shopping carts.
laugh.gif

Still, I feel your pain on this one. If you live in an area with only one decent grocery store, it's going to get insanely packed during peak hours. And most people seem to have no awareness of their blockage of aisles or chokepoints in the store (or at least act as if it's a tremendous imposition to ask them to move over).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a cart, even when not buying very much, because I can use it as an offensive weapon when walking up and down the aisles. A hand held basket is useless when some lumbering whale is standing in front of the Nutella rack. It's the same reasoning behind buying an SUV as opposed to a Smart Car.
Originally Posted by JoelF
Compared to most other people in the world Americans are generally disgusting lazy pieces of ****.
I can't imagine why your parents didn't love you.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lazy --> lazier

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your reference to Costco reminded me of my most venemous complaint about that store, the freebie stands they set up at the intersections.

It's unbelievable to me that nearly every single person in the vicinity feels it's their right to park their over-filled carts in the middle of the aisle, thereby choking traffic, so they can help themselves to multiple samples of whatever it is being served.

On my most recent stop, a woman was blocking passage in front of me while she patiently sampled something. When after a decent pause, I politely asked he to move, she gave this look as if I was the one being rude. My blood is boiling just thinking about the lack of consideration some people display.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If laziness causes obesity, then yes, it is certainly increasing, many government statistics back this claim.

I was maniacally amused to see the overweight people deperately climbing the 2-story stairway at my subway stop this morning because both escalators were out of service, probably more exercise than most have done all year@!#

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure how "more" lazy is physically possible
puzzled.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
lol @ people who shop at costco bitching about the other idiots who shop there

I tell myself I'm going there to seek out the MacallanXcostco 18-year, but I've not been able to bring myself to do so.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
ah dont even get m

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
lol @ people who shop at costco bitching about the other idiots who shop there

Well, in fairness, I ***** about idiots here on SF, so why not at costco? + they've really picked up their men's clothing department which is why I go there, well and to pick up an industrial size box of eclairs (er tampons).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like using the tractor trailer sized shopping carts at Costco; how else am I going to carry my Jumbo cereal boxes, 20lbs of frozen chicken cutlet, years worth of socks, four 3-liter bottles of soda, gallon tub of ice cream, and 46in LCD?

Actually, I've only ever been to Costco twice...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads