• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds with rubber patches on the sole inferior?

waterpig

Reaction score
Inferior compared to the identical shoe with a full leather sole? I've noticed that shoe makers will usually denote their lower end shoes by putting rubber strips or patches onto the sole.

You can see what I mean here:

f_95462_3.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waterpig
Inferior compared to the identical shoe with a full leather sole? I've noticed that shoe makers will usually denote their lower end shoes by putting rubber strips or patches onto the sole.

You can see what I mean here:

I don't think so, at least with AE. I think they put them on in response to customer demand. My only AE with this sole (the AE Holt) seems otherwise the same as all of my other AE's.

waterpig

Reaction score
No offense, but I hate your state. I was stuck in traffic for endless hours all throughout Virginia. Not to mention that thirty or forty state troopers that lined I95, causing brakes to slam and tempers to flare.

Other than that, thanks for your input!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf, waterpig, where do you live?

Anyway, for whatever reason AE does seem to reserve the full leather sole for some higher models like Park Avenue, Mora, Macclain, etc. Not across the board, but as a rough generalization. Even more rarified is their combination heel which they seem to only use on the Leeds and the Macneil

boston009

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying the 'Burton', which is a nice looking shoe, but have hesitated because of this sole. Are they rubber strips on a leather sole, or are they rubber inserts put into a leather sole? Do they feel/behave more like a leather or rubber sole when walking? I too would appreciate some detailed feedback from someone who has one of these shoes...

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I'm wearing a pair of AE Saxons right now that have the rubber strips. I have a pair of AE Drydens on the way from STP that also have the strips. I have not noticed a difference in the sole quality in these shoes over the all-leather soles from AE (e.g. my AE Niles).

Boston, from what I can see the strips are rubber inserts, not "stickers" on the outside of a leather sole. With the amount I wear my AEs (I walk to work), if they were stickers they would have worn off long ago.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The combination heel is used for cordovan models. The stripey sole (a technical term) is used on somewhat more casual designs.

DuncanM

Reaction score
I have to be careful of full leather soles as they are a death risk when going to a metro station in the rain. I am thankful for the rubber strips.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by waterpig
Inferior compared to the identical shoe with a full leather sole? I've noticed that shoe makers will usually determine their lower end buyer by putting rubber strips or patches onto the sole.

Fixed.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As good a post as any to mention that I just had a superb experience with Allen Edmonds' customer service. They might not be as refined as other brands, but I intend to look to them first for my casual shoes. American made, and great customer service . . . they've at least earned a bit of loyalty from me. Okay, climbing off of soap box, carry on.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting comments. It could just be one particular exception to the rule, but anecdotally, when I wear my Drydens when the ground is wet, my feet get much wetter than when I wear Park Avenues or any of the pure leather souled shoes. Just food for thought.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the same shoe with little rubber things so you don't slip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads