• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Allen Edmonds meant for "older people"

Bexcellence

Reaction score
The styles don't seem to suitable for a younger buyer. What do you think?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as that's a marsupialed post, it's actually true for most models, in my opinion.

motosacto

Reaction score
Their baseline identity is manufacturers of high-quality dress shoes. Many of their styles are timeless. They seem to spend a little effort, but not much, chasing trends. If, by younger buyer, you mean someone who shrinks from wearing clothes that are conservative in nature, then you are right.

Sometimes, however, it is radical to be conservative. A self-confident younger buyer who wants to add timeless classics to his wardrobe could be served well by a number of AE models....

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The styles don't seem to suitable for a younger buyer. What do you think?

Your perception of the styles comes from a lack of understanding. They are timeless and will compliment any man, younger or older. Consider also who it is that you are trying to impress; your buddies, women, prospective employers, etc Comfort first, then styling that serves your lifestyle. It seems that your tastes are maturing and you are ready for something better than sneakers and you won't go wrong with Allen Edmonds as a starting point to better mens shoes (in North America). Perhaps you can expound on the intended use of the shoes or need and we can help you select a specific model you will enjoy. When you eventually go to a store to buy a pair, bring your friends with you and be their teacher. Once they see what you are doing, try a pair on for themselves and see the price they will probably want a pair as well.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your perception of the styles comes from a lack of understanding. They are timeless and will compliment any man, younger or older. Consider also who it is that you are trying to impress; your buddies, women, prospective employers, etc Comfort first, then styling that serves your lifestyle. It seems that your tastes are maturing and you are ready for something better than sneakers and you won't go wrong with Allen Edmonds as a starting point to better mens shoes (in North America). Perhaps you can expound on the intended use of the shoes or need and we can help you select a specific model you will enjoy. When you eventually go to a store to buy a pair, bring your friends with you and be their teacher. Once they see what you are doing, try a pair on for themselves and see the price they will probably want a pair as well.

Timeless, sure. But most of the lasts are rather blobby, in my opinion. I wouldn't wear 95% of what AE sells exactly because it would look alien to my overall aesthetic that is geared towards blending classical elements with modern fit and shape. It's very subjective, of course.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Timeless, sure. But most of the lasts are rather blobby, in my opinion. I wouldn't wear 95% of what AE sells exactly because it would look alien to my overall aesthetic that is geared towards blending classical elements with modern fit and shape. It's very subjective, of course.

I like the way you think, but SOME models of their shoes aren't so "boring" like the Bradley. Well to me anyways

Bexcellence

Reaction score
what model would look best on a slim suit on a tall, young guy?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what model would look best on a slim suit on a tall, young guy?

The only ones I wear are the Weybridges. And they are my last choice after Grenson, Vass, Zegna, Sutor, etc.

I've tried a few other models, but always ended up returning them, they just don't look as good in real life.

SFEND002

Reaction score
Its time to grow and be a big boy. AE are classic style. The same style worn by leaders and decision makers in the U.S.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its time to grow and be a big boy. AE are classic style. The same style worn by leaders and decision makers in the U.S.

The moment I will decide to look like U.S. leaders, I'll discard my whole wardrobe and finally take advantage of a JAB sale. :slayer:

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I'm going to get skewered for this on SF, but I agree. Most of the lasts on AE are not very flattering. I find the same for most 'classically styled' but SF-adored UK brands. I find the shape to be too round and short around the toe box, and the last sticks out too much from the body. I usually go for a more 'Italian shaped' last, something a little more elongated but still round, without looking like some reject from a Jersey Shore casting call.

I also don't understand the American obsession with OCBD shirts when paired with a jacket. But it's just a matter of personal tastes. OP, wear what you want and don't listen to the herd mentality, wheter here on SF or out there in the real world.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ace, have you had a good look at the recent AE line? For the sake of newbies and lurkers, AE has come a long way in a short time. Their new CEO Paul is doing wonders for the company and its profile. He is paying attention to forums such as ours and AAAC and I believe a lot of the recent offerings reflect this collective input. Also let us be fair in not comparing AE to Vass, Zegna, Sutor, etc. as you know they are different worlds. Many 'SF approved' manufacturers have their share of 'blobs' and at much higher price points. Personally I love a sleek shoe but I also enjoy a meaty 360° welt.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ace, have you had a good look at the recent AE line? For the sake of newbies and lurkers, AE has come a long way in a short time. Their new CEO Paul is doing wonders for the company and its profile. He is paying attention to forums such as ours and AAAC and I believe a lot of the recent offerings reflect this collective input. Also let us be fair in not comparing AE to Vass, Zegna, Sutor, etc. as you know they are different worlds. Many 'SF approved' manufacturers have their share of 'blobs' and at much higher price points. Personally I love a sleek shoe but I also enjoy a meaty 360° welt.

No, I haven't seen the new offerings. I will check them out. Thank you.

facet

Reaction score

I agree, having bought the Augusta, PA, and Parliament, tried on the Lombards, and then seeing the new offerings like the Newmora and Flatiron, it's safe to say that there is a pretty wide range of offerings that can be characterized as "sleek" or "blobby".

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first question would be, what is a younger buyer? The second question would be what do want the shoes for? I did see the post re: slim suit on a younger guy but still don't know what that means. Is it for work? School? Formal event? A social night out on the town? Everyday casual wear? There's a lot of information still missing.

In my early/mid 20s I owned an array of "fashion" shoes (yes, even square toed loafers which I will deny ever owning). Now that I'm a working stiff, I realize that those were fine for clubbing and socializing but not much else. So now I focus on shoes that are good for business (black cap toe balmoral with a suit) or cross over shoes that are good for work and martinis after like a brown wingtip dress boot.

I still own shoes that are less traditional and more "trendy", but I don't wear them very often. They're weekend shoes. That's what life is like for many white collar working men of all ages, and I'm proud to be one of them.

So, to recap, I don't understand your situation or what exactly you want your shoes to do. I do know that in all likelihood when I put my suit on in twenty years I'll be wearing the same pair of AEs that are in my closet right now.

If you're lucky, you'll live long enough to be one of the "older people". Why not get a head start and buy a pair of AEs now?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads