• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are all monk straps bluchers?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is a stupid question as I'm new to fashion and everything but I do love the look of a monk strap. Doubles? Still growing on me. However, I dont like the look of a blucher . . . at all. Is there a such thing as a monk strap that's a balmoral?

Cheers

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A monk strap is its own category--it's neither a balmoral nor a blucher. (Some people put them in the category of loafers, but I think that's a little misleading.)

Are you treating it as a blucher because the strap part is a separable piece, sewn onto the shoe?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, they exist -- check out the Purple Label Grant, by EG, for one example.

Appreciate it. I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
A monk strap is its own category--it's neither a balmoral nor a blucher. (Some people put them in the category of loafers, but I think that's a little misleading.)

Are you treating it as a blucher because the strap part is a separable piece, sewn onto the shoe?

Yes. I thought a separable piece indicates this would be a blucher vs a balmoral. No?

Cheers

officeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Yes. I thought a separable piece indicates this would be a blucher vs a balmoral. No?

Cheers

If there are no shoelace eyelet tabs or holes it can't be either.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja

Cheers

To the best of my knowledge, the terms blucher and balmoral name the two species of lace-up shoes. A monk is more like a loafer, in that you just slip it onto your foot. On the other hand, DocHolliday knew exactly what you meant, so maybe the term blucher can take on that broader meaning.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, they exist -- check out the Purple Label Grant, by EG, for one example.

Using the same logic, my Santoni Jadwins would be considered "balmorals" as well.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Virtually all monks are bluchers.

I had a monkstrap from Martegani that I got through Rider that was based on a closed lacing pattern - I'll see if I can dig out the picture....

It was just a little too big for me, so I sold it on ebay or SF a few months back.

edit: I had pictures in my sale thread, but deleted them... I'll check and see if they're on a computer somewhere

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Using the same logic, my Santoni Jadwins would be considered "balmorals" as well.
The John Lobb Vale is also in this category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics