• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are all hermes men's dress shoes made by lobb?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Ebay auction has a pair of Hermes lace-ups. They look very nice and are brand new. Does anyone know if they are likely to be made by John Lobb? (Before emailing the seller, I thought I'd try to get your intelligence on this issue first.) http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?...tem=4152356279 Thanks

shoefan

Reaction score
No, Hermes also has a line of shoes made in Italy. They are labeled "Hermes," not John Lobb. I believe these shoes are the Italian-made variety -- note the red-stained soles.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think that Hermes-labelled shoes are made by the John Lobb factory, although I could certainly be mistaken.

As for the specific shoes in the autction, I doubt that they're John Lobb produced for a few reasons: the rubber heel piece doesn't look like anything that I've seen on a John Lobb shoe, I can't imagine Lobb staining the soles red, the toe caps are much longer than you would typically see on English shoes, the indentation from the channel on the sole looks like it might be too far in for the shoe to be Goodyear-welted rather than Blake-constructed, and the shape of the last looks like nothing I've ever seen from Lobb. Admittedly, none of these items is dispositive, nor are all taken together. I just don't think that they're Lobb-made shoes.

They're nice looking though.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, those are not Lobbs. The Hermes labeled shoes are decent quality, nothing great. Although the styling on those is excellent. I don't have specific experience with the sizing of that line, but a 45 is almost always an 11 -12 depending on make.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an hermes 45 is closer to a usa 12 than a 13 and if anything, they seem to run small (to me at least) so given the narrow profile of this shoe, it may be closer to an 11.5

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
44 is usually a US 11, and 45 a 12.

That is the generally accepted conversion. However, unless your foot is on the narrow side, it often doesn't equate in real life. Mantellassi for instance considers their 45 to be a US 12, but my experience is that they fit more like an 11 1/2.

Hector Gallegos

Reaction score
I believe HERMES cheats if it doesn't indicate the real brand (or manufacturer) of the shoes they sell.

Hector Gallegos (PERU)

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just posting here in an epically bumped thread. aka hermes is a brand you dork.
teacha.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I haven't checked the auction but keep in mind french shoe sizes are 0.5 bigger so a 42 would be a 42.5. Some follow this system and others the overall EU one. Messy isn't it?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-year necro posting !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads