1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are all hermes men's dress shoes made by lobb?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, May 19, 2004.

1. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

This Ebay auction has a pair of Hermes lace-ups. They look very nice and are brand new. Does anyone know if they are likely to be made by John Lobb? (Before emailing the seller, I thought I'd try to get your intelligence on this issue first.) http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?...tem=4152356279 Thanks

2. shoefan

shoefan Senior Member

No, Hermes also has a line of shoes made in Italy. They are labeled "Hermes," not John Lobb. I believe these shoes are the Italian-made variety -- note the red-stained soles.

3. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

is the 45 really a 13? is this b/c it's french? i thought 45=12

4. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I don't think that Hermes-labelled shoes are made by the John Lobb factory, although I could certainly be mistaken.

As for the specific shoes in the autction, I doubt that they're John Lobb produced for a few reasons: the rubber heel piece doesn't look like anything that I've seen on a John Lobb shoe, I can't imagine Lobb staining the soles red, the toe caps are much longer than you would typically see on English shoes, the indentation from the channel on the sole looks like it might be too far in for the shoe to be Goodyear-welted rather than Blake-constructed, and the shape of the last looks like nothing I've ever seen from Lobb. Admittedly, none of these items is dispositive, nor are all taken together. I just don't think that they're Lobb-made shoes.

They're nice looking though.

5. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

No, those are not Lobbs. The Hermes labeled shoes are decent quality, nothing great. Although the styling on those is excellent. I don't have specific experience with the sizing of that line, but a 45 is almost always an 11 -12 depending on make.

6. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

an hermes 45 is closer to a usa 12 than a 13 and if anything, they seem to run small (to me at least) so given the narrow profile of this shoe, it may be closer to an 11.5

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

44 is usually a US 11, and 45 a 12.

8. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

That is the generally accepted conversion. However, unless your foot is on the narrow side, it often doesn't equate in real life. Mantellassi for instance considers their 45 to be a US 12, but my experience is that they fit more like an 11 1/2.

9. Hector Gallegos

Hector Gallegos New Member

I believe HERMES cheats if it doesn't indicate the real brand (or manufacturer) of the shoes they sell.

Hector Gallegos (PERU)

10. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Distinguished Member

just posting here in an epically bumped thread. aka hermes is a brand you dork. [​IMG]

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I haven't checked the auction but keep in mind french shoe sizes are 0.5 bigger so a 42 would be a 42.5. Some follow this system and others the overall EU one. Messy isn't it?

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

4-year necro posting !