• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolesgit

Reaction score
Obviously not. I thought they will last for at least couple of months. One pair £80, they start to look like sh*** after 4 months of wearing 3 times a week. Second pair discounted £100 to 60 look horrible because of the cracking leather after wearing for 2 months 2 times a week. I was noy expecting miracles but at least something that I could wear for may be a year?

This whole situation forced me to look online for a brand worth buying.

My budget is up to £150 per pair of shoes.

As far as I understand the ones I should buy are Loake, Barker and Cheaney. Any other brands in this price range?

Also, I am not sure what is the best place to buy shoes now. Online? Oxford street? Travel somewhere closer to the factories?

Regards.
Wojtek.

P.S.
Sorry for the typos. Tried to do my best. Im on my phone now.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Step 1 - Use computer
Step 2 - Search
Step 3 - Learn
Step 4 - Repeat step 2

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, thats one thread title I didn't think I'd ever see

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously not. I thought they will last for at least couple of months. One pair £80, they start to look like sh*** after 4 months of wearing 3 times a week. Second pair discounted £100 to 60 look horrible because of the cracking leather after wearing for 2 months 2 times a week. I was noy expecting miracles but at least something that I could wear for may be a year?

This whole situation forced me to look online for a brand worth buying.

My budget is up to £150 per pair of shoes.

As far as I understand the ones I should buy are Loake, Barker and Cheaney. Any other brands in this price range?

Also, I am not sure what is the best place to buy shoes now. Online? Oxford street? Travel somewhere closer to the factories?

Regards.
Wojtek.

P.S.
Sorry for the typos. Tried to do my best. Im on my phone now.
Aldo shoes are good for the money, if you buy at a significant discount.
Dont know why your shoes have it hard.
you need to polish them and use shoe trees. no polish on aldo= looks bad after a while.

if you can get them for $30-$50 its worth it,. not full price.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Aldo shoes are good for the money, if you buy at a significant discount.
Dont know why your shoes have it hard.
you need to polish them and use shoe trees. no polish on aldo= looks bad after a while.

if you can get them for $30-$50 its worth it,. not full price.

I have to disagree here. If your budget is up to 150 GBP ($230.00 USD?) Then you are far better off looking at one of the Goodyear-welted brands you mentioned. Allen Edmonds can be found at serious discounts as well if you can find a way to get them shipped to you. Aldo shoes are so cheap that you will be fighting a losing battle trying to keep them looking decent and will ultimately spend far more money replacing shoes that don't really respond well to care products. There is a reason that Goodyear-welted shoes are considered an "investment." It is a bit painful getting a rotation started in the beginning, but they pay dividends in quality, longevity, and looks in the long run.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A lot of contradictions in this post, but you are on the right track with your suggestions and the advice given is good. If you can save up a bit to buy shoes at the next level up (Trickers, Loake, Allen Edmonds etc) you will get a much better return on your investment than with th elikes of Aldo, especially if they are daily work wear shoes.

Optimally you need to try them on in shops but once you at least get an idea of your size you can order over the internet and take a chance. Look out for deals on free shipping, that way you cna order two pairs and send back th eones that don't fit.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:crazy: Aldo thread? **** me ...

Putonghua73

Reaction score

A lot of contradictions in this post, but you are on the right track with your suggestions and the advice given is good. If you can save up a bit to buy shoes at the next level up (Trickers, Loake, Allen Edmonds etc) you will get a much better return on your investment than with th elikes of Aldo, especially if they are daily work wear shoes.

Optimally you need to try them on in shops but once you at least get an idea of your size you can order over the internet and take a chance. Look out for deals on free shipping, that way you cna order two pairs and send back th eones that don't fit.

I bought a pair of Aldo's for £100 (full retail) just before I joined SF. Nice almond shaped toe and deep burgundy; soft leather and very comfortable. However, questionable construction and yes, the colour fades quickly. I must admit, even though I use cream to moisturise the leather and use shoe trees, I have treated them like beaters. Until I recently bought deep burgundy polish to restore the colour, they started to look like crap. FWIW, I wear them 2/3 times a week.

Entry level shoes start at approx £150, although Loake 1880s are arguably worth the money in the Loake range - retail price is £190. Trickers are not entry-level and more mid-tier - especially since at retail they are in mid £300s.

I'd recommend measuring your feet and then speaking to Meermin to see which last suits you in their classic collection. If you prefer English shoes, then check out Loake 1880 range. Have a look at Herring Shoes, Pediwear, and A Fine Pair of Shoes

If in London, go to see John Ruston - just behind Selfridges. There is also a place in London that sells heavily discounted men's dress shoes. Unfortunately the name escapes me at present.

SF reading:
Shoes explained
English shoes quality hierarchy
Shoe Fights: SF Building a Ready-to-Wear Shoe Hierarchy
Shoe Makers by Country
What Makes a Good Shoe

Keep in mind, fit is paramount, learn to care for your shoes (shoe cream, polish and shoe trees), and rotation, rotation, rotation i.e. minimum of 2 pairs.

Last edited:

AldoShoes

Reaction score
Hi Kolesgit,

We're really sorry to hear about what happened with our products.

Our buyers are inspired by the latest trends and their goal is to make these styles accessible to our customers by adding the final touches that will help create an exceptional collection. As a company, we stand behind our products and we are willing to listen to every customer that has a concern so we can find a way to satisfy our clients.

We sincerely apologize that our merchandise has not met your satisfaction and will forward your comments to our Buying department. After all, it is only through customer feedback that we can improve.

Furthermore, we're pleased to inform you that manufacture defects are covered for an unlimited amount of time. However, because we cannot see the merchandise, it is difficult for us to make a decision from Head Office.

In the event of a manufacture defect, we normally recommend that you bring the shoes, along with your receipt or proof of purchase such as a debit or credit statement, to your nearest ALDO store and ask to speak with the store manager. The manager will then assess the damage, and see whether the shoes can be exchanged or repaired. Please note that this decision is left at the manager's discretion.

However, if it is not convenient for you to return to one of our stores, you can always contact us with photos of the defective item, the ALDO logo that appears on the product and a copy of your receipt. You can send this information directly to Customer Service: [email protected].

Once we have this information, we will evaluate the situation and contact you with more options.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have the chance to serve you again.

Sincerely,

ALDO Customer Service

addedfuel

Reaction score
i would never buy Aldo but i appreciate the service they offer and keeping with the forums.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Aldo, your attitude towards customer service is appreciated. I was looking at a pair of shoes but was hesitant to get them, now I feel even more inclined.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
even the best customer service does not make up for a substandard product.

Aldo shoes are disposable, corrected grain, glued messes.

no worth it at any price

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We're really sorry to hear about what happened with our products.
Well do the world a favor and stop producing this crap in the first place, then you do not have to feel sorry anymore and within a few weeks (average time this glued, corrected grain + plastic shoes last) the world will look much better
Our buyers are inspired by the latest trends and their goal is to make these styles accessible to our customers by adding the final touches that will help create an exceptional collection.
exceptional collection???? Really???? An exceptional collection of ALDO shoes???? :lol:

Last edited:

manchambo

Reaction score
It's so discordant that my mind automatically switched "Aldo" to "Alden" when I first red it, which still wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads