• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are AE Park Avenues good for everyday use?

Bexcellence

Reaction score
This summer I'll have about a 10 min walk to work, then 10 min walk back to the train. Of course this doesn't include exploring the city, walking around, etc. Would you suggest buying Park Avenues if I'll be doing this every single day?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Park Avenue will be fine if PAs are appropriate for your work place. Assuming they fit well, you should have no trouble once they're broken in.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, Park Avenues are definitely comfortable enough to wear for the type of walking you describe.

However, you really shouldn't wear any one pair of shoes everyday so you should at least try to get another pair of shoes to rotate with the Park Avenues.

Also, are you going to be wearing a suit everyday, because captoes are generally reserved for wear with a suit, so if you are wearing something else, than a wingtip or punchtoe might be more versatile for your needs.

Bexcellence

Reaction score
business casual so basically dress pants and tie, but no suit jacket.

chimchiminey

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Black PAs go with just about everything, but there's no reason you have to confine yourself to them if you're going a little more casually. Consider some wingtips and something in cordovan.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Not to distract from the original question, but FWIW I think wearing a tie without some sort of jacket/sweater/cardigan looks odd.

To help with the original question, PAs are a 100% safe bet. Can't get more conservative. But as it's business casual, maybe consider some other dress shoes. If you want to stick with black, maybe a wing tip and an open toed semi brogue or quarter brogue.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Wait that came out wrong. Don't show your toes.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not to distract from the original question, but FWIW I think wearing a tie without some sort of jacket/sweater/cardigan looks odd.
To help with the original question, PAs are a 100% safe bet. Can't get more conservative. But as it's business casual, maybe consider some other dress shoes. If you want to stick with black, maybe a wing tip and an open toed semi brogue or quarter brogue.
You can do it as a casual look as long as you wear a tie bar and casual fabrics. Ex: Gingham button down sport shirt, knit tie, casual slim trousers, loafers - no socks. Top button of shirt undone (tie worn loose at neck)

ajmanouk

Reaction score

You can do it as a casual look as long as you wear a tie bar and casual fabrics. Ex: Gingham button down sport shirt, knit tie, casual slim trousers, loafers - no socks. Top button of shirt undone (tie worn loose at neck)

I suppose it is a look for some. I would definitely not wear it to work, though.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I suppose it is a look for some. I would definitely not wear it to work, though.

Maybe on a "casual" friday to a "company outing". It's a good look for a lounge or bar on a hot night.
I didn't realize you meant work attire.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sigh . . . Well, I suppose it makes a change from wearing a suit with no tie.

The fundamental problem is that, unless you are living in Singapore, you are describing something that doesn't exist. You can wear a jacket without a tie, but wearing a tie without a jacket doesn't fit anywhere on the sartorial formality scale.

Now if you are in an office where it just so happens that you take you jacket off most of the time while you are working, that's fine. That we can analyze. A black cap toe is about as formal as you can get for business wear. With any sort of dark suit, it should be fine, very conservative business dress. A khaki suit, definitely not. (not so much because it is a cap toe but because it is black). With regards to a sport coat rather than a suit, it depends. If you are wearing, say, dark grey pants, they should be OK. More casual pants, eg. linen or something with a pattern, probably not.

Black Park Avenues are a real staple that everyone should have. But in your case, you probably want something a little more versatile. I seem to be recommending them twice a day lately but you might look into a dark brown chukka boot, which Allen Edmonds also makes, for about the same price as the Park Avenue.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had only one pair of PEs, I'd go with the ox blood/burgundy -- great with a pinstripe suit and nice with casual slacks.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert or anything, however from the material I've read on the board, magazine, and conversations with AE reps shoes should be rotated. You don't want to wear the same shoe everyday. There are a few things to know. After you wear your shoes (esp. a nice on like PA) you should put a shoe tree inside and allow the shoe to rest for 24-48 hours. Also, make sure you are shining the shoe/conditioning the shoe at least once a month if you wear the shoe 2x a week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads