• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ardbeg 10 Scotch

Star

Reaction score
Iodine, Children's medicine before they made Children's medicine sweet and bearable. What am I missing here?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't try the Laphroiag 10 year then, lol..

Its not for everybody, but the Ardbeg 10 is one of my favorites.. Then again, the Laphroiag 10 is probably my favorite overall, so that would explain it..

On second thought, you sound like you need to try something with a much less forceful personality.. WIthout spending too much money trying to figure out if Scotch is for you, you may want to seek out something fairly inexpensive like Glenlivet or Isle of Jura, or even Oban (although its definitely at the very top end of what one could consider inexpensive).. Sounds like a strong scotch is just not for you.. Also stay away from Ardmore while you are at it..

elgreco

Reaction score
Ardberg? what temple does he go to?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your prior Scotch experience? You just don't jump into Ardbeg.

~ Huntsman

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an acquired taste, as in you acquire it by putting your tongue into a flat iron.

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elgreco
Ardberg? what temple does he go to?

Not the greatest and I have no doubt that it is worth its while if I understood what I was tasting. To save myself forking out money on a bottle, I am trying a different scotch at bars each time I go out until I find one I like and can discern. Last night the options outside of the usual suspects were Ardberg 10, Laprohaig 10, Oban, and the Macallan Fine Oak 12.

I still stand by the Iodine description wanting for better words : )

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Don't try the Laphroiag 10 year then, lol..

Its not for everybody, but the Ardberg 10 is one of my favorites.. Then again, the Laphroiag 10 is probably my favorite overall, so that would explain it..

I used to quip that laphroaig would be a killer additive in a diesel engine, I dont have the heart to try it though
smile.gif
And I agree, both of those are not "entry level" if there is such a thing..

44S

Reaction score
My starter scotch is still an old favorite: Glenmorangie, 10 year.

I have the Ardbeg, and use it for special occasions. Those special occasions are times when I want to do something really stupid. I substitute a dram of Ardbeg and that takes care of any desire to do anything else stupid for the rest of the evening.

Also, I have found a good peaty scotch to be an excellent tester of potential girlfriends. If she's out with me and can tolerate a few sips of Laphroiag, she's probably strong enough to hang around a while...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
What is your prior Scotch experience? You just don't jump into Ardbeg.

~ Huntsman

That's the damn truth.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ardbeg is not your starter single malt, as others have said. I'd say try Cragganmore 12, that is a nice palatable option and is better than the other typical beginner scotches (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, etc.).

bc78

Reaction score
Actually had a glass last night. One of my favorites. It isn't for everyone though. Agree with the above posters that you should avoid laprhoaig and lagavulin as well.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peaty ass ****. Almost ended my scotch drinking days permanently. And it's Ardbeg, not Ardberg.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a scotch drinker at all and we had some of this **** for my friend's going-away party last summer. It's on the list of stupid things I've done.

elgreco

Reaction score
That Ardberg is quite the mensch.

Get yourself some Caol Ila 12 and come talk to us after that.

MikkoN

Reaction score
Then you should be happy that you did not try any of the early bottlings of this stuff!
They were awesome!! To you prolly less so.
boxing[1].gif

This current stock floating around is much more tame and has all the neat corners filed off.

Still a very decent drop, but used to be so much more...well, Ardbeg!
Anything with Ardbeg printed on it seems to fetch lots of £££$$$ these days.
I love that distillery, but the fact that it is a collector favorite makes things unbearable to us happy consumers. Verdict...usually not worth the price tag these days.

I feel you would do well avoiding Talisker and Caol Ila too.
Big T is not as peaty, but has some serious character to it. Caol Ila can be VEEEERY peaty at times.

My fav of peaty malts for everyday consumption would need to be cast strength 10yr Laphroaig.
Do add a drop or two of water, but do not dilute too much.
Spectacular stuff and great bang for the buck!
Laphroaig 15yr is damn nice too, but a bit dear for normal consuption.

Uh, I need a drink...

M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads