• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arctic parka in the summer !

johnlondonw3

Reaction score
Hi
first post ....
I want to get a Woolrich Arctic parka for coming winter ...
Looked on web and they appear to retail for about $250 in US ,in UK they are more like £400,so a big difference,what I need to know is there any difference in the style/quality of the ones on sale in US and in Europe ?
I've read that Woolrich have several different lines ......any advice appreciated ...and if I get one from US which is cheapest retailer ( saw one in Franks sports NYC for $209)

Thanks
;0))

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No difference in quality. Get one wherever it's cheapest.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seems like more of a streetwear question but I'll go ahead and answer

there are 3 lines of Woolrich right now.

Woolrich Woolen Mills (WWM) - to me is the most desireable. It is designed currently by Daiki Suzuki who also designs engineered garments. The fit is spot on, slim but not skin tight. The pieces are expensive and attractive but it is possible to get decent deals on ebay or yoox every now and then.

Woolrich by John Rich & Bros - this is the European Woolrich which from what I have seen, is the same quality as regular woolrich but has slightly better designs (though mostly nothing outstanding) and should have a slimmer, more modern fit. Pieces are very expensive, like WWM at retail, but bargains can be had on ebay. The tags are blue I believe with yellow writing. They say John Rich & Bros on the tags. This line has nothing to do with Daiki or WWM.

Woolrich - this is the original American line, ho hum, equivalent to LL Bean or Land's end. Pieces are good quality I am sure like the other American outdoor clothiers but the fit is awful and a size small in this line would probably fit like a size Large in the other lines. The items are generally low in cost but not worth it IMO unless you really need something strictly utilitarian.

hope this helps!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
but the fit is awful and a size small in this line would probably fit like a size Large in the other lines

If that's the case then the other line sizes are way off - I wear a small in this parka and in J.Crew, Gitman, you name it. The coat's sized to wear a sweater underneath but no more generously than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads