• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

Junglejack

Reaction score
Ah the good days of Arc design. Someone should buy this.

BTW its windproof and water resistant, not proof

Indeed. Actually wore mine just yesterday which is finished in the puntastic "Yippee Cayenne" (think Virginia Tech colors)
It is Gore Wind Stopper as opposed to GTX. Pretty much all of the stuffiness of Gore-tex with none of the full waterproofing!

That said, in spite of it being charitably described as a soft shell and not being fully waterproof, I still wear mine often. It might be the best looking of all the Arc/Veilance jackets I own, The Venta is waterproof enough for anything short of tropical storms and the like, (mostly leaks at the embroidery of the dead bird and where it says "Windblocker" on the sleeve), is well cut for layering, and it is far and away the Arc piece I have gotten the most complements on. Very flattering cut.

While the Venta is great, the jacket that I am really bummed that Arc'teryx no longer makes and correspondingly so grateful to still own is the Hyllus. Like the Venta SV/MX, the Hyllus (formerly known as Hercules) is super expensive for not being Gore-tex with all three coming in at around $400 or so. Likewise, all three are for all intents and purposes waterproof. However, where the Venta SV has a very light fleece backing, the Hyllus Hoody is lined with something akin to a sherpa material. Part of the reason for the Hyllus being so expensive is this material which is Polartec Power Shield 02 High Loft. It is stupid expensive per yard and it is also the most comfortable technical jacket I have ever owned. Many have likened it to a really expensive hoody. However, the Hyllus is exceedingly water resistant and unlike the Venta, it breathes exceptionally well.

Sadly, the modern descendent of the Hyllus in the Patagonia KnifeBlade was not long for this world having recently been discontinued. No doubt it too was hurt by being priced like an expedition parka while not being fully water proof. The KnifeBlade and its brother the KnifeRidge both use Polartec's PowerShield Pro. Highly recommend picking up one of the Patagucci twins whilst still available on closeout as it will probably be quite some time if ever before we see their likes again. Simply, have heard from a number of folks that the fabric is holy crap expensive. Really makes for the ultimate soft shell though.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with this take from Junglejack re: the water-resistant v water-proof nature of the SV. I live in the PacNW and ski in the Cascades, and the only day I wore this was a typical whiteout storm w/40+ gusts and I was bone dry at the end of it, so while it isn't technically a waterproof membrane, functionally it's pretty damn close and blends the best of both worlds. Great shell!

As promised, I've also posted the Sidewinder:

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/arcteryx-sidewinder-xl.15219/

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Arc'teryx khuno parka? I have a black size medium I'm going to let go, since it does't fit anymore.

It's a model from a few years ago, longer cut, Coreloft insulation, Gore-winderstopper (highly water resistant) with a hood. Good all round casual coat with a similar look to the AV monitor coat. Great condition, retailed for around $600 if I remember rightly, asking $225 OBO + ship. Figured I'd ask here before throwing it up on Gr@!led

Here's some info on the coat, excuse the cheese factor
Same as this one except mine has a dark charcoal logo on the bicep, instead of the ugly white logo this one has.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have problems with the sleeve length? I have a Partition LT that is just a bit too long in the sleeves. Any way to shorten them and preserve the construction/quality?
I have not found anyone who can work with the taping. The sleeves of my partition are slightly long. I usually just go with the length as is; other times, I turn back the sleeves an inch or so.

John-Galt

Reaction score
Agree with this take from Junglejack re: the water-resistant v water-proof nature of the SV. I live in the PacNW and ski in the Cascades, and the only day I wore this was a typical whiteout storm w/40+ gusts and I was bone dry at the end of it, so while it isn't technically a waterproof membrane, functionally it's pretty damn close and blends the best of both worlds. Great shell!

As promised, I've also posted the Sidewinder:

https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/arcteryx-sidewinder-xl.15219/

Woah whats that map print inside? Can you post a pic?

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah- I’ll grab one tomorrow....

boscogne

Reaction score
I have not found anyone who can work with the taping. The sleeves of my partition are slightly long. I usually just go with the length as is; other times, I turn back the sleeves an inch or so.

Thanks, I pretty much decided to do that as well...

Junglejack

Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Arc'teryx khuno parka? I have a black size medium I'm going to let go, since it does't fit anymore.

It's a model from a few years ago, longer cut, Coreloft insulation, Gore-winderstopper (highly water resistant) with a hood. Good all round casual coat with a similar look to the AV monitor coat. Great condition, retailed for around $600 if I remember rightly, asking $225 OBO + ship. Figured I'd ask here before throwing it up on Gr@!led

Here's some info on the coat, excuse the cheese factor
Same as this one except mine has a dark charcoal logo on the bicep, instead of the ugly white logo this one has.

That is a really cool piece. If I did not have a Westcomb Expedition parka, I would be all over that. Heavy duty insulation plus a membrane is a killer app. The Expedition ruled/rules. Neoshell combined with Primaloft Gold Down Blend. While decidedly utliitarian and not in the slightest "stylish", short of hardcore expeditions Neoshell is almost perfect. Unlike GTX which the moment I am indoors or in the car I take off, Neoshell can be worn comfortably in a much wider temp/humidity range.

John-Galt

Reaction score

Great coat. It was my first Arcteryx jacket and still going strong today

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rainy Pass repair shop in Seattle might be one place that is able to deal with modifying taped gear.

vyxlxyv

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my Medium Veilance Node IS Jacket in Neptune/Turquoise please check out my listing and contact me. Asking for $600.

3c1007cd-10b8-465f-a3ee-703c5be309fc-jpeg.830994
879803af-108a-40af-8f49-ee8951b60609-jpeg.830998
35b8738f-aeb3-4522-ac05-b492ac4cf2fa-jpeg.830996

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody here tried waterproofing a non waterproof Arc' or Veilance jacket?

I got a Veilance Isogon a while back, and while I obviously didn't expect it to handle a downpour, its performance while biking in just a drizzle is rather disappointing - so I'm considering a waterproofing spray. I've had good experience with this one for my suede shoes, and it seems like this one or this one might do the trick.

If anyone has tried something similar, what are your thoughts and recommendations? Of the two linked, which would you choose? Any other type of product I should be looking for?

John-Galt

Reaction score
Do you have the fully synthetic or cotton nylon Isogon?

Not completely sure but the products you've linked seem to be glorified DWRs. I'm always apprehensive about applying shoe products to things I wear next to skin. I'd look into Nikwax and Grangers DWR products. They're both recommended by Arc'teryx.

Is there a reason you want to waterproof your Isogon. It's not intended for downpours. Why not get a goretex jacket

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the cotton nylon one. The description from where I bought it called it 'water-resistant', so like I mentioned I wasn't expecting it to handle a downpour, but I did expect it to handle a light rain for about 15 minutes, and it doesn't.

Both Nikwax and Grangers look like they're available here in Europe - any specific product you would recommend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads