1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Caligari, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jago2

jago2 New Member

How resistant is water resistant is water resistant compared to proof? i guess tropical storm needs proof

2. EvanM

EvanM Well-Known Member

Water resistant will keep you dry if you're commuting in the rain, but you're going to get wet with prolonged exposure.
    Water proof should keep you dry if you're out in the rain all day.

3. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Really depends on the jacket. Arc'teryx says "water resistant" for almost all their jacket. If just a thin windbreaker then you should feel the mostiure as the fabric wets/out. On a soft shell or other membrane jackets, the face fabric may be wet but you won't feel the moisture immediately.

4. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Even waterproof fabric such as gore-tex is not completely waterproof. I used to commute with bike in the rain though, my Acronym jackets (one with gore-tex and another with schoeller nano sphere) didn't keep me dry after one hour of heavy rain.

5. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Bud, Gore-tex is literally plastic sandwiched between two pieces of fabric. Last time I checked, plastic isn't water permeable

6. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

That's not exactly true. Any fabric that breathes is water permeable, it's only a matter of for how long and under what amount of water pressure.

1 person likes this.
  7. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

The point was, unless you're blitzed by a stream from a firehose, Gore-tex won't leak.

8. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Willing to let go of BNWT Size Small AV Field Jacket IS in Oceanus. Love my Mionn and Composite from years ago, but buying same size IS jacket was a total failure :(

I am 5'8'' 150, and AV garments in Small has served me well until now. I find my arms swallowed by the spacious (but oh so soft) sleeves. :embar:

Real shame because I appreciate the little details that they decided to put in the jacket, such as key rings and elastic cuffs. Oh and the color.. :drool:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  9. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

It depends on how breathable the 'water proof' is too. Goretex will keep out the rain on the surface of the jacket all day but could be stuffy and sweaty so you'll still get soaked from moisture inside the jacket.

For warm tropical storms it might be more useful to consider how quickly and comfortably the clothes dry instead of how waterproof they are. The veilance blazer LT is only water resistant but it is comfortable to wear when wet and will dry in under an hour once you get back indoors
    well worn and/or dirty goretex can leak or 'wet out'. It needs to be cleaned periodically.

10. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

I don't mean to turn this into a full fledge technical thread but wetting out is when the face fabric stops beading and absorbs water; however, the membrane still keeps water out. Leaking is when water penetrates the entire shell.

11. Bozza

Bozza Member

I'll jump in here. After MUCH research and self-debate I pulled the trigger on my first piece. I copped the Camosun Parka in black, size small at a discount from Sporting Life.

It arrived today and the jacket is beautiful. Not too sure why @caligari says its "crap" compared to the Therme? Please elaborate.

One problem though (which appears to be a common theme with Arc and AV pieces) is the sizing. I'm 5',8", 168 lbs with an athletic fit and I went with the small. Um....nope! The arm length and coat length is spot on but the cost is way too tight in the chest area (I have a roughly 41" chest). I tried it on with a light hoodie and just a tshirt and it was pretty tight. I contacted customer service to track down a medium for me instead as that should give me more breathing room when layering; however I'm a little worried the sleeve length and cost length won't be as spot on. I'll update once I get the new jacket and return this small. Hopefully this info helps anyone curious about sizing on this particular jacket.

12. zer0tails

zer0tails Active Member

Just want to say a big thank you for your advice, which was spot on. I went with the Galvanic in size M and while snug in the chest with a suit blazer underneath, the arms are just right. The L would have been too long in the arms as you said.

Thanks again and cheers!

13. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Yes.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Galvanic at the outlet for 350 CDN if there's anyone local.

15. avery

avery Senior member

Where's the outlet?

16. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Got the Monitor Down and it's a little big. Anyone want a new MD for $750?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  17. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

you didn't list size

good price i bought mine for like ~$1000 much earlier in the season. sort of a mistake since it was so warm that i didn't start wearing it till now.

great coat.

18. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Sorry it's a large.

19. johanm

johanm Senior member

$750 is an incredible deal for a new Monitor down IMO.

Wore mine in ~50 degree temp today as I misjudged the NYC weather. Still perfectly comfortable since the sleeves are coreloft so don't feel sweaty (yet equally warm/comfy over just a T-shirt in 25-30 deg temps earlier this week).

20. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Thanks, it's priced to sell quickly.