1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Caligari, Feb 24, 2015.

1. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Anyone else get an email gift card from Arc?

2. scenicside

scenicside Member

Has anyone tried on or seen the new Indisce Blazer in person? Can you compare to previous seasons if face fabric is different?

Looking to replace my old indisce with the new one. The removal of the pocket under the lapel and addition of double vents are all things I wish my version had.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Jolek

Jolek Well-Known Member

I have the new Indice. I can't compare to the previous version but the jacket compares to a softshell texture. It's less swishy sounding than the blazer LT. The double vents are excellent and the blazer fits much nicer than th LT. Can take some closeup pics if that would help you.

4. zunkido

zunkido Member

Depends what layers and comfort you prefer. For style go S. For comfort and room for layers go M

5. Andrei P

Andrei P New Member

I'm two weeks into my search for a winter jacket and it's now down to either Therme or Camosun. I've read this thread through and through and I believe you guys might help me put a finer edge on my research.

I'm left with two questions: warmth and fit.

I'm looking at a winter of -30C and I've seen quite a few reviews claiming that Therme is not warm enough and that its thermal limit is -10C. So, my question is which one is warmer and does any of those two models withstand -30C?

My other question is fit. I'm:
    Metric: 82 kg,182 tall, 102 chest, 86 waist, 106 hip, 83 sleeve
    US: 180 lbs, 6'0", tall, 40 chest, 34 waist, 42 hip, 33 sleeve
    What would be a good fit of each model? (Assuming I'll have to layer for -30C)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  6. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I'm perhaps 2kg lighter and 1cm shorter with the same chest/waist measurements; I got my Therme in size Small. I tried a Medium and - although it may have been potentially warmer - it just was not flattering, nor was it comfortable to function in. (It felt like being in a sleeping bag.)

I chose the Therme over the Camosun strictly due to its increased length.

I can't recall the technical specifics at the moment but I do recall these two jackets being only very minimally different in their composition.

I plan to wear my Therme in our -20 to -35 Celsius temperatures this year. I guess I'll plan to update this thread with my thoughts when those temperatures hit.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. skovbo13

skovbo13 Active Member

Hi,

Would appreciate some advise on sizing of the current season Veilance insulated field jacket.
    I own the SS15 non-insulated field in size M, and it's a comfortable fit–with room for layering to spare which makes it very versatile. (see picture)

Should I go for a size M in the insulated field as well or size down to an S?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

8. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

^ it is TTS but a little on the roomier side. I would suggest sticking with a M.

9. skovbo13

skovbo13 Active Member

That's helpful, thank you.

Would this jacket be warm enough a couple degrees below freezing? Still having trouble deciding between the field and the Monitor down.

10. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Yes, it will be appropriate for your temperature requirements. I think both jackets are equally warm, but the monitor is longer so perhaps that is a consideration. Can't go wrong with either style.

11. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

It is getting cold in NYC. Does anyone have a recommendation for some gloves that work well with Veilance coats and share some of the same characteristics...high performance materials, clean lines, monotone, no/minimal branding?

My black leather dress gloves seems a bit out of place, but so do bulky ski gloves.

12. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Stick with a medium. You'll find sizing down on the Field will lead to very high arm holes due to the gusset. You also lose the ability to layer as versatilely. The jacket has the same fill as my Khuno Parak (now Koda) which is more than enough for Canadian winter.

I like to talk people out of the Down Monitor when I can. The jacket is too puffy for the silhouette and is unflattering. You can size down to achieve a much better fit but then the problem with the arm holes comes up.
    Have you considered the Veilance Facet glove? It's leather but the dynamic pattering seats it comfortably with Veilance. It is essentially the old mainline Tactitioner glove. Out of production now but AV is having a pop-up store and the email said there would be special leather goods and Down Monitiors. If you do swing by, deffinately interested in seeing what the leathers and Monitor looks like.

Otherwise condider the mainline Rivet or Venta, logo is well hidden

13. skovbo13

skovbo13 Active Member

Thanks everyone for chiming in. This really helps me ordering the jacket online and not being able to physically try one on.

Does anyone second John-Galt's opinion above re the puffiness of the Monitor? I just ordered one but believe I could still change it to a Field IS instead. On photos the Monitor looks amazing, but if it's indeed super puffy I'd much prefer the field jacket.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  14. WSW

WSW Senior member

When I tried on the last season's Monitor, I actually found it relatively slim for a down jacket and very stylish. It is extremely warm though so if you were contemplating wearing it in the city like I was, the utility will be low.

15. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I don't have the insulated Monitor but have tried it on before. I thought it looked fine, but ymmv. I have the insulated field jacket, which is a solid piece.

16. smarquis

smarquis Member

Looking for opinions on the Veilance Arris jacket. I have an arcteryx beta ar but I am looking for more of a jacket that i can wear to the office for work. The specs on the Arris say it is light weight (330gm) so it is a summer weight. I am a size 38 chest so, in theory, a small will fit, but I was thinking I would get the medium (40) and be able to layer. Although, arm length may be an issue (the beta AR is in medium and the arms are a little long, but the cuff has a velcro strap to keep it at the wrist)

Anyone have the Arris? Would you wear it three seasons (in Canada) with or without layering?

Also, would anyone know how the Arris compares to the regular Monitor jacket (not the Monitor IS) for material / feel.

Thank you.

17. mng024

mng024 New Member

Anyone have a helpful link to Therme/Camosun sale size small? Have been searching every day which actually led me to this thread.

18. tomenugen

tomenugen Well-Known Member

can anyone proxy from the NYC pop-up?

19. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

Also curious about this - particularly looking for Facet gloves

20. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Active Member

Too bad the price of the Monitor down coat jumped from 1500 $CAD to 1800 $CAD in a year. It really sucks when the price of Canadian made stuff (ex Viberg) fluctuates like that because of US$. Wish companies did some sort of discount for Canadians when they do that.