• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

Bozza

Reaction score
I'll jump in here. After MUCH research and self-debate I pulled the trigger on my first piece. I copped the Camosun Parka in black, size small at a discount from Sporting Life.

It arrived today and the jacket is beautiful. Not too sure why @caligari says its "crap" compared to the Therme? Please elaborate.

One problem though (which appears to be a common theme with Arc and AV pieces) is the sizing. I'm 5',8", 168 lbs with an athletic fit and I went with the small. Um....nope! The arm length and coat length is spot on but the cost is way too tight in the chest area (I have a roughly 41" chest). I tried it on with a light hoodie and just a tshirt and it was pretty tight. I contacted customer service to track down a medium for me instead as that should give me more breathing room when layering; however I'm a little worried the sleeve length and cost length won't be as spot on. I'll update once I get the new jacket and return this small. Hopefully this info helps anyone curious about sizing on this particular jacket.

zer0tails

Reaction score

I would advise against that given the excess room in the chest. Unless you have disproportionally long arms, going up a size would almost ensure your arms being swallowed by the jacket. If you're looking to do some serious layering, go for the down Monitor. The boxy frame should have ample room for layers. 

Just want to say a big thank you for your advice, which was spot on. I went with the Galvanic in size M and while snug in the chest with a suit blazer underneath, the arms are just right. The L would have been too long in the arms as you said.

Thanks again and cheers!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Galvanic at the outlet for 350 CDN if there's anyone local.

Caligari

Reaction score
Got the Monitor Down and it's a little big. Anyone want a new MD for $750?

Last edited:

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the Monitor Down and it's a little big. Anyone want a new MD for $750?

you didn't list size

good price i bought mine for like ~$1000 much earlier in the season. sort of a mistake since it was so warm that i didn't start wearing it till now.

great coat.

Caligari

Reaction score

you didn't list size

good price i bought mine for like ~$1000 much earlier in the season. sort of a mistake since it was so warm that i didn't start wearing it till now.

great coat.

Sorry it's a large.

johanm

Reaction score
$750 is an incredible deal for a new Monitor down IMO.

Wore mine in ~50 degree temp today as I misjudged the NYC weather. Still perfectly comfortable since the sleeves are coreloft so don't feel sweaty (yet equally warm/comfy over just a T-shirt in 25-30 deg temps earlier this week).

Caligari

Reaction score
$750 is an incredible deal for a new Monitor down IMO.

Wore mine in ~50 degree temp today as I misjudged the NYC weather. Still perfectly comfortable since the sleeves are coreloft so don't feel sweaty (yet equally warm/comfy over just a T-shirt in 25-30 deg temps earlier this week).
Thanks, it's priced to sell quickly.

adnbps

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a jacket similar to the veillance node, but for less money? the node's $1250 price tag is wayyy out of my budget. i love the jacket, but can't afford it :(

NicholasEdwin

Reaction score

can anyone recommend a jacket similar to the veillance node, but for less money? the node's $1250 price tag is wayyy out of my budget. i love the jacket, but can't afford it :(
What size are you? There are a few veilance items on sale including the node (large and up I think) on altitude sports. Also they have a herno laminar gore-tex/wind stopper down jacket (European 50 large and up) that is similar to the node on sale. I may even have a promo code you can add on top of that.

adnbps

Reaction score
I'm an XS in the veillance node. I haven't found this size on sale anywhere, but I'll keep looking. In the meantime, if anyone has other suggestions, let me know!

I was also considering an arcteryx cerium + shell, but the fit and overall appearance won't be as nice.

adnbps

Reaction score
I found an XS field IS jacket on sale, but I think it's too long for me (I'm 5'8")

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads