Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Caligari, Feb 24, 2015.

1. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Anyone with experience on both the FW14 and 15 Galvanic that can speak on the face fabric? I currently have the 14 one and like the hand of the textile; however, it loves dust and is prone to fading. Not sure if it's worth warrenting it

2. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

I didn't notice a huge difference John.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah I noticed that too. The fabric was very soft and comfortable but I was worried about dust. A sticky roller every once in a while shouldn't be a big deal though.

4. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Now's roughly the season when I break out the cozy knits. A rainbow of wool fibres have taken shelter to my Galvanic

5. Caligari

Caligari Senior member

Have a brand new Indisce blazer in black for $400. Size XL BUT fits more like a large or medium.

6. jago2

jago2 New Member

How resistant is water resistant is water resistant compared to proof? i guess tropical storm needs proof

7. EvanM

EvanM Well-Known Member

Water resistant will keep you dry if you're commuting in the rain, but you're going to get wet with prolonged exposure.
    Water proof should keep you dry if you're out in the rain all day.

8. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Really depends on the jacket. Arc'teryx says "water resistant" for almost all their jacket. If just a thin windbreaker then you should feel the mostiure as the fabric wets/out. On a soft shell or other membrane jackets, the face fabric may be wet but you won't feel the moisture immediately.

9. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Even waterproof fabric such as gore-tex is not completely waterproof. I used to commute with bike in the rain though, my Acronym jackets (one with gore-tex and another with schoeller nano sphere) didn't keep me dry after one hour of heavy rain.

10. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

Bud, Gore-tex is literally plastic sandwiched between two pieces of fabric. Last time I checked, plastic isn't water permeable

11. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

That's not exactly true. Any fabric that breathes is water permeable, it's only a matter of for how long and under what amount of water pressure.

12. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

The point was, unless you're blitzed by a stream from a firehose, Gore-tex won't leak.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Willing to let go of BNWT Size Small AV Field Jacket IS in Oceanus. Love my Mionn and Composite from years ago, but buying same size IS jacket was a total failure :(

I am 5'8'' 150, and AV garments in Small has served me well until now. I find my arms swallowed by the spacious (but oh so soft) sleeves. :embar:

Real shame because I appreciate the little details that they decided to put in the jacket, such as key rings and elastic cuffs. Oh and the color.. :drool:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

14. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

It depends on how breathable the 'water proof' is too. Goretex will keep out the rain on the surface of the jacket all day but could be stuffy and sweaty so you'll still get soaked from moisture inside the jacket.

For warm tropical storms it might be more useful to consider how quickly and comfortably the clothes dry instead of how waterproof they are. The veilance blazer LT is only water resistant but it is comfortable to wear when wet and will dry in under an hour once you get back indoors
    well worn and/or dirty goretex can leak or 'wet out'. It needs to be cleaned periodically.

15. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

I don't mean to turn this into a full fledge technical thread but wetting out is when the face fabric stops beading and absorbs water; however, the membrane still keeps water out. Leaking is when water penetrates the entire shell.