• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Architecture question - type?

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have been told my c. 1913 house has Colonial Revival, Arts and Crafts and Georgian Elements. What do you say (and why)?
pic0141bo.jpg

johnw86

Reaction score
I'd agree with the person who gave you the info. The arched entry, the brick, and the symmetry are Georgian. The window elements are Colonial. At the same time, I'm having a hard time locating specific arts and crafts elements. Perhaps they're in the proportion of width to height (it's not a "tall" house).

Beautiful structure.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with what John said -- clearly colonial and Georgian elements. To me it looks newer than 1913, but I guess it's just well-cared for. Classic good looks, with great curb appeal. What's with the fire escape on the left side?

cuffthis

Reaction score
What's with the fire escape on the left side?
House used to be a Bed & Breakfast. The Arts & Crafts elements were raised by the straight line plinth(?) across the front and the iron work on the front side windows (which are actually doors). Disregard the Jamaican flag - long story.
pic0117iu.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The front door does echo several arts and crafts elements. The canopy has a "cloud lift" pattern that is characteristic of many Greene & Greene designs such as the Gamble House. The door (with two side doors for ventilation) likewise is similar, although without the Tiffany glass. And the lantern looks a little arts&crafts although I wouldn't push that point.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. My wife and I entertain a lot and we are frequently asked about the architectural elements of our house. Now I can provide a little more informed responses. I hope these pictures don't bore you, but we feel we really found a gem with this property, which we acquired in May, 2003. Proud parents, I guess. Everywhere you turn, there is another great element such as 5 piece crown molding, 7 piece baseboard trim, coffered ceilings, etc. Damn, they don't build 'em lkike they used to, that's for sure. Dining room
pic0250ty.jpg
Entrance hall
pic0879wx.jpg
2nd floor landing
pic1351qh.jpg

Etruscan

Reaction score
It is indeed a beautiful house, displaying all the influences of the various architectural styles that have been cited. Has the entry door been replaced? The images of the exterior show a single-light glazed door (presumably not original) while the interior shot indicates a paneled solid door that appears much more appropriate to the style and period.

Other than that, from what I can see both the exterior and interior seem to enjoy an excellent state of preservation which, as an architectural historian, I am always pleased to find. Congratulations on having found such a gem, and best wishes for a long and happy life there.

Etruscan

cuffthis

Reaction score
Has the entry door been replaced? Â The images of the exterior show a single-light glazed door (presumably not original) while the interior shot indicates a paneled solid door that appears much more appropriate to the style and period.
Door is original. However, there is a (newer) screen door on the outside of the front door. Original architectural elements abound in this property. Mercer (PA) and Mueller (NJ) tiles in library. We have the original invoice from the Mercer Tile works for these decorative and figural tiles.
pic1011xk.jpg
Living room fireplace and built-ins.
pic0702ym.jpg

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good resource about your beautiful house, and houses of all styles and eras, is "A Field Guide to American Hosues" by Virginia and Lee McAlester (Knopf) Your house fits the description of "Colonial Revival" (p. 334 in my edition of the book).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lovely residence.

The Arts & Crafts is reflected in the foundation design, and the fireplace you displayed.

The general scheme of the house is Georgian, and the Colonial Revival tends to be in the smaller details.

The front-door grilles actually appear somewhat Beaux-Art.

cuffthis

Reaction score
As requested by several from PM, attached is more detail of leaded glass and architectural elements around dining room.
pic0422bk.jpg
Dining room built-ins (1 of 2)
pic0393wd.jpg
Sun porch bar (not original to house). Custom made in Brazil, c. 1980. Mahogany, granite counter top. Breaks down into 5 pieces.
pic1065hn.jpg

Etruscan

Reaction score
It's certainly a very handsome house, Cuffthis. I'm glad it's found such an appreciative steward.

dietcookie

Reaction score
Beautiful, how much are houses like that going for in that area?

cuffthis

Reaction score
You offer me an amount with 7 figures, it's yours.

I guess in San Diego, $1M+ will get you a split level and 2,500 sq ft, right?

jekv12

Reaction score
Beautiful home. Perhaps the strongest colonial revival element is the brickwork: Flemish bond with glazed headers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads