• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

yshin10

Reaction score
Any updates? Everyone gotten money back or a compensation?
Would anyone mind put a summery on the first page so readers get the Infos and don’t need to go through 86 pages? Preferably @Jmr928 .
I have received my full refund AND a partial refund. I had two pairs, decided to keep one and send one back. Pretty happy with it.

Potatoe

Reaction score
Good things are being solved for all involved!

I don't really get the new name of this thread. What is the "preorder issue" mentioned? And why does it state "hand welted shoes", when this thread is about the non-hand welted ones?
Oh **** off ..... :)

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good things are being solved for all involved!

I don't really get the new name of this thread. What is the "preorder issue" mentioned? And why does it state "hand welted shoes", when this thread is about the non-hand welted ones?

Perhaps it should be in quotes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cant believe someone thought it would be a good idea to reopen this thread.

We should be shutting down more threads, not reopening closed ones.

Shut down every shoe thread
Then shut down every bespoke thread
Now shut down the Drake's thread
Now shut down down StyleForum
Next, shut down every menswear blog
Now shut down menswear-adjacent sites like Instagram
Now shut down Elon Musk's Twitter account and anyone who has ever tweeted about him
Now shut down anyone who has ever tweeted "you sir, just earned yourself a like"
Now shut down all of Twitter
Now shut down every Facebook account that has ever said "I'm into style not fashion"
Now shut down anyone who has ever talked about crypto currencies
Now shut down Joe Rogan's podcast
Now shut down literally every podcast
Next, shut down literally the entire internet

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now shut down Elon Musk's Twitter account and anyone who has ever tweeted about him
Now shut down anyone who has ever tweeted "you sir, just earned yourself a like"
Now shut down everyone who has ever said "I like fashion not style"
At the very least, Ed's gif thread.
He keeps effing them up...

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now shut down every Facebook account that has ever said "I'm into style not fashion"
Derek read crimethinc once in middle school and thinks he's black bloc

Devis4u

Reaction score
I see this thread has been busy. I have also been reached out to by AoL regarding returning my pair. I don't think they could've resolved this in a better way. I'm still optimistic about the company despite recent events, and if they do end up making a wholecut shell chelsea boot, hand-welted, I'll be first in line.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For them to work they will have to charge accordingly, not sure who he is going to work with again but I’d say if EB does a wholecut Chelsea in shell you probably should go for that (or pay up with AM)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see this thread has been busy. I have also been reached out to by AoL regarding returning my pair. I don't think they could've resolved this in a better way. I'm still optimistic about the company despite recent events, and if they do end up making a wholecut shell chelsea boot, hand-welted, I'll be first in line.

Can you really make a wholecut chelsea boot at all? Wouldn't the elastic count as not whole cut?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you really make a wholecut chelsea boot at all? Wouldn't the elastic count as not whole cut?

Nah, the leather part is only thing that decides if it's a wholecut or not, doesn't matter what pattern is apart from that.

Cordovan wholecut chelseas have been tried to do production of a number of times, last in line was Viberg a few years ago, they switched to a regular pattern with side seam after a year or so since fit and look became off on the wholecuts. You always have the same problem, it's too difficult to block the shell well without tearing it, so it's not suitable. You can make a pair or so here or there, as for example Meccariello has and some bespoke makers, but to do it well on a production line is too much of a hassle if you really want it to be good. You saw it on the sample of Archibald's as well, they couldn't manage the blocking properly, you get an instep and front of the ankle that neither look good nor works well on the foot.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Nah, the leather part is only thing that decides if it's a wholecut or not, doesn't matter what pattern is apart from that.

Cordovan wholecut chelseas have been tried to do production of a number of times, last in line was Viberg a few years ago, they switched to a regular pattern with side seam after a year or so since fit and look became off on the wholecuts. You always have the same problem, it's too difficult to block the shell well without tearing it, so it's not suitable. You can make a pair or so here or there, as for example Meccariello has and some bespoke makers, but to do it well on a production line is too much of a hassle if you really want it to be good. You saw it on the sample of Archibald's as well, they couldn't manage the blocking properly, you get an instep and front of the ankle that neither look good nor works well on the foot.
Lattanzi has some, also I have seen some with whole cut no stitches in the back.
But expensive, very expensive.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lattanzi has some, also I have seen some with whole cut no stitches in the back.
But expensive, very expensive.

Yeah but Lattanzi isn't really doing this on a production line, they are a good example of "a pair or so here or there".

You mean seamless cordovan wholecut? I know some tried it, but it's like with the wholecut boots but worse, the low tensile strength makes it very, very difficult and if you manage not tearing it the end result ends up really bad. So if they've managed, I'd liked to see it.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Yeah but Lattanzi isn't really doing this on a production line, they are a good example of "a pair or so here or there".

You mean seamless cordovan wholecut? I know some tried it, but it's like with the wholecut boots but worse, the low tensile strength makes it very, very difficult and if you manage not tearing it the end result ends up really bad. So if they've managed, I'd liked to see it.
As I remember they had seamless corodovan shoes in Milano boutique, some years ago. I could be wrong also.

STefano Bemer also, but I am not sure of it was cordovan, it looked like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads