• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some puzzling comments from some very intelligent members.

When my pair of a Sons of Henrey GMTO was damaged during construction, owner Tom Brone apologized, refunded my money, and offered me a discount on a future purchase, all on the same day the problem was discovered. When a pair of suede Pediwear boots arrived that were appreciably different in color than their website indicated, I was refunded my money and sent a label for a free international return, all on the same day. When a pair of Cheaney-made Herring Wildsmith shoes did not meet the same standard as previous purchases regarding last fit and leather quality, Herring refunded my money, sent me a free return label, and offered me a discount on a future purchase, all on the same day. I have no doubt that Skoaktiebolaget, The Noble Shoe, Skolyx and many others would also respond in the same exceptional manner.

That some are applauding AoL for doing the bare minimum acceptable thing (anything less would undoubtedly destroy the shoe portion of their business) after a month, when reputable businesses easily exceeded such an offer in just one day, is perplexing. That all of the businesses mentioned above have never resorted to the deceit, hyperbole, misleading comparisons, and nastiness publicly displayed by Archibald of London is also of prime importance here as well.

I‘m glad customers will finally be receiving refunds for their illicitly marketed and produced shoes. I’m even happier that so many great businesses of integrity and quality exist, and it is those businesses that I wish have continued success.

Who is saying otherwise?

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't. I have several AE. I have never experienced that much creasing on a pair of AE.
The AE leather is way better than AOL. Looking at the pic of AOL, it looks like that the leather is coated with lacquer paint and not aniline dyed. AOL leather is comparable with cheaper mall brands like Aldo, Dr Martens & Steve Madden.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you take $300 and go on eBay I assume you can find some decent chelsea in good condition (just be sure about sizing) from many brands, but it requires work and patience, so ....

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

George Mason

Reaction score
Who is saying otherwise?
Are you looking for a roster of names? That I will not provide, but a glance at this thread and another AoL one will divulge the information you seek.

People are free to think/believe as they wish; I simply think it's strange to applaud a company for doing the bare minimum, especially under the oft-discussed circumstances.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you looking for a roster of names? That I will not provide, but a glance at this thread and another AoL one will divulge the information you seek.

People are free to think/believe as they wish; I simply think it's strange to applaud a company for doing the bare minimum, especially under the oft-discussed circumstances.

I don't know about a roster of names, but ... I guess some references to the comments you're talking about?

I don't follow the other thread and to be honest, prob not going to read it. I don't really see the comments you're referencing in this thread. I suppose there's the "Potatoe" guy, but that's about it.

George Mason

Reaction score
The difference is in the scope of the problem. Those are individual instances where you suffered a defective product. This is a company that is refunding potentially hundreds of buyers for shoes they had already thought they had sold fairly at a price that was already (if the naked price was paid) at near to cost.

To be fair, I agree that you received exceptional customer service at these other stores; however, it is not a comparable situation.
I think you missed a significant part of the points I was making, but feel free to disagree.

George Mason

Reaction score
I don't know about a roster of names, but ... I guess some references to the comments you're talking about?

I don't follow the other thread and to be honest, prob not going to read it. I don't really see the comments you're referencing in this thread. I suppose there's the "Potatoe" guy, but that's about it.
Perhaps I was a bit more surprised at the comments than you were? The plaudits are in multiple posts over the past few pages, but I don't think they are warranted.

Might be that people expected very little or nothing from AoL, so the response to the bare minimum winds up being disproportionate to what was actually offered. My yardstick wasn't quite so skewed...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps I was a bit more surprised at the comments than you were? The plaudits are in multiple posts over the past few pages, but I don't think they are warranted.

Might be that people expected very little or nothing from AoL, so the response to the bare minimum winds up being disproportionate to what was actually offered. My yardstick wasn't quite so skewed...

Perhaps. I don't see any "plaudits" beyond people saying the deal is fair. I still think the deal is fair, but wouldn't say that characterization is heaping praise on the company.

George Mason

Reaction score
Perhaps. I don't see any "plaudits" beyond people saying the deal is fair. I still think the deal is fair, but wouldn't say that characterization is heaping praise on the company.
Besides all of the "fair" and "very fair" comments (again, they did the bare minimum or their shoe business would have collapsed, and they waited a month to do it!), we have: "well done"; "more than fair"; "doesn't seem so bad"; "more generous than expected"; post #1170, "even greater than I suggested" and the very surprising remainder of that post (#1175, which also calls AoL "honest" and thus redefines the word); "AoL doing the right thing" (and absurdly suggesting that the posts in this thread would be responsible if they didn't!); "pretty cool"; "damage has been rectified" (as if AoL's deceit and deceptive/fraudulent marketing are no longer an issue because of a refund); post #1242; "pat on back for doing the right thing."

As I mentioned earlier, this must be because so many expected a complete disaster, so the bare minimum somehow is magnified into something it is not.

Sorry if anyone is upset that I indirectly quoted them; not my intention to make anyone upset, but rather to point out a generosity that I believe is not warranted in this case, to a business that is undeserving of such generosity.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Besides all of the "fair" and "very fair" comments (again, they did the bare minimum or their shoe business would have collapsed, and they waited a month to do it!), we have: "well done"; "more than fair"; "doesn't seem so bad"; "more generous than expected"; post #1170, "even greater than I suggested" and the very surprising remainder of that post (#1175, which also calls AoL "honest" and thus redefines the word); "AoL doing the right thing" (and absurdly suggesting that the posts in this thread would be responsible if they didn't!); "pretty cool"; "damage has been rectified" (as if AoL's deceit and deceptive/fraudulent marketing are no longer an issue because of a refund); post #1242; "pat on back for doing the right thing."

As I mentioned earlier, this must be because so many expected a complete disaster, so the bare minimum somehow is magnified into something it is not.

Sorry if anyone is upset that I indirectly quoted them; not my intention to make anyone upset, but rather to point out a generosity that I believe is not warranted in this case, to a business that is undeserving of such generosity.

Seems like you don't want to quote people, so I suppose out of respect for your preferences, I won't quote them either ... I guess? (I have no idea why we're talking about people and not quoting them. It makes the conversation confusing).

Two of the comments you reference are from Potatoe. I agree, he seems over the top with his defense of AoL.

One of the comments is from JFWR. I think his rep on this subject has already been attacked.

One of the comments is from the owner of this forum. I don't know what convos he had with AoL behind the scenes. He has a business relationship with them, obviously, so had to be a bit nice about things. I'm personally not bothered by it.

The other comments seem fine to me. One, for example, you seemed to have cherry picked. The full comment (again, feels weird to not directly quote people, but here we go):

"People are just glad that customers are getting some kind of resolution since everyone was kind of fearing the worst. Of course no one has forgotten all the bad stuff, but there’s nothing wrong with a pat on the back for doing the right thing."

^ That seems totally fine to me.

I suppose I'm not that emotional about the situation. I also find "shoe guys" a bit weird, and this whole episode weird. Caring about tiny little creases in a shoe seems unhealthy. No, the shoes don't seem exceptionally well made to me (I think that has been established). Yes, I think the final solution is fair. Personally, I would take the money and buy a pair of RM Williams for $350 or Meermins for $200. But people like different brands for different reasons. I don't get the appeal of many of these brands referenced here.

I didn't expect that AoL would give free shoes, free shoe trees, free shoe horns, or whatever. I suppose it would be nice? But I don't think anyone has heaped praise on the company, as you phrased it. The deal seems fair, and I'm surprised it happened.

Potatoe

Reaction score
I also have some doubts about leather quality. I have worn these shoes not more than 10 times (more like 5) and this is how the leather looks. If I have them on it is still there (picture 3), although less pronounced. View attachment 1594325
View attachment 1594329

View attachment 1594347
That's not creasing,,,,, this is creasing :)
My meermin boots looks like they have a giant cyst growing on the toe.

20210214_155127.jpg

deliku

Reaction score
Has that type of creasing happened on Meermin's dress shoes?
Here’s a pair of Meermin cap toes I bought a couple years ago:
863499D5-B846-411D-B715-24A3799FF561.jpeg

I’ve kept shoe trees in them since the beginning too. It’s fine though, and honestly within my expectations. It’s still made with a beautiful French calf leather, but obviously their clicking is more geared towards high yield rather than perfection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads