• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said, I got duped. I've been transparent I got snookered. Don't know what you or anyone else wants me to do further than this.

I've fessed up that archibald fucked me.

Not sure anyone is asking anything at this point.

Well I guess I am or did.
Unfortunately, one of those questions wouldn't be relevant at this point because of the construction of the shoes.

One question was if you requested a refund or remake. The boys on here said you received a refund, so that answered that.

The other question was how the shoes compared to Meermin, if you had them that is. But because these AoLs are not HW'd, the question really is not appropriate.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Not sure anyone is asking anything at this point.

Well I guess I am or did.
Unfortunately, one of those questions wouldn't be relevant at this point because of the construction of the shoes.

One question was if you requested a refund or remake. The boys on here said you received a refund, so that answered that.

The other question was how the shoes compared to Meermin, if you had them that is. But because these AoLs are not HW'd, the question really is not appropriate.
I think the issue is that he indicated they were somewhere between C&J handgrade and EG level.

With all that said, sample size of 1 is perhaps not that useful. My only pair of GGs has some pretty poor creasing (it's Horween hatch) but the leather still has great feel ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue is that he indicated they were somewhere between C&J handgrade and EG level.

With all that said, sample size of 1 is perhaps not that useful. My only pair of GGs has some pretty poor creasing (it's Horween hatch) but the leather still has great feel ?

When I read the review, after it was posted, I didn't realize that you guys were serious about the comparisons. I guess I wrongly assumed they could not be competitors.

Which is also why I stopped laughing to show some respect to those proud owners of AoL shoes. Really it's just a difference of opinion. I respect that.

GG has some phenomenal leather. How are they holding up now or how long have you had them?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
When I read the review, after it was posted, I didn't realize that you guys were serious about the comparisons. I guess I wrongly assumed they could not be competitors.

Which is also why I stopped laughing to show some respect to those proud owners of AoL shoes. Really it's just a difference of opinion. I respect that.

GG has some phenomenal leather. How are they holding up now or how long have you had them?
20210319_011305.jpg

Have had them since about September last year. The creasing is consistent though so I'm not concerned. Just not as fine as my AMs with hatch
20201125_004203.jpg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1590683
Have had them since about September last year. The creasing is consistent though so I'm not concerned. Just not as fine as my AMs with hatch
View attachment 1590687

Shoes are going to crease. There's no getting around that. To my eye, they don't look as bad as how you may them seem.
They look good. ??

Yes I do like the AM's better, but considering they are boots the creasing adds some character.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Shoes are going to crease. There's no getting around that. To my eye, they don't look as bad as how you may them seem.
They look good. ??

Yes I do like the AM's better, but considering they are boots the creasing adds some character.
Definitely acceptable. But probably on the lower range of acceptable for GG.

I think I would actually have a greater issue if one shoe had really fine and the other didn't.

The GGs feel much better, the AM upper looks thicker and the lining seems stiffer (maybe the interlining).

CWV

Reaction score
How can you guys go round and round the same arguments for more than 60 pages? Why not give the thread a rest until there are some actual news to comentario and discuss and that way stop flooding my inbox with notifications?

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
How can you guys go round and round the same arguments for more than 60 pages? Why not give the thread a rest until there are some actual news to comentario and discuss and that way stop flooding my inbox with notifications?
I mean, same can be said about most of the big threads. Either people complaining about the same thing in different words or circle jerking each other for their excellent collective taste.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could always unsubscribe, no? I'm not even subscribed. I only receive notifications after a mention.
Then at that point you almost feel compelled to read on haha.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely acceptable. But probably on the lower range of acceptable for GG.

I think I would actually have a greater issue if one shoe had really fine and the other didn't.

The GGs feel much better, the AM upper looks thicker and the lining seems stiffer (maybe the interlining).

I generally feel that AM makes the most robust looking shoes out of the top makers. They are almost like refined tanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads