• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how is this:

different that this?

and no disrespect but is there anyone ever that looks at that picture and said the leather looks good???

Verrihappy

Reaction score
AOL tricksters would have you believe that you are commissioning hand welted masterpieces from a hard luck, father and son artisanal workshop which, laid low by covid, unfortunately and fortuitously had to cut corners out of good intentions, in return offering a better, more comfortable, and proven alternative to hand welted shoes.

Also implied is that they have an equity stake in the workshop, prior to the scam being exposed.

They also claim to be making direct connections to master craftsmen and artisans, whose pockets of excellence are given a lifeline by AOL through their direct to customer platform. The truth is otherwise. AOL is just a middleman, a reseller of
factory goods without any genuine value added.

Adriano and son, Alessandro, running a factory (not workshop) that does sub contracting work and who also sell their own label shoes online, are unlikely to cheat on a miniscule order of say some 40 pairs of shoes. Also being well versed in sub contracting, they would have a legally binding agreement listing the specs and terms and conditions. So it's unlikely that they shipped glued on shoes unless contractually obliged. Or if they are the guilty party, they would have the financial wherewithal to refund the aggrieved customers.

And our "no middleman" AOL hipsters are selling the same shoes with a higher margin than the factory. Is this even ethical?

My conclusion is we are witnessing a scam. But what say you now, Herr Professor Dr.?

Buy these shoes. Buy. These. Shoes.

Or..

My money back. My. Money. Back.

Last edited:

Handwelted

Reaction score
Yes it was. Well i guess what bugged me is someone is writing about something they have never seen nor gotten close to. At least perhaps talk to someone that owns them etc? The issue with Archibald is that the price (normal or naked) always betrays us because people use it to formulate the story that this is just another millenial direct to consumer brand selling cheap product for cheaper. We have had advicr multiple times to increase the prices by a significant factor to solve the issue caused by price but if we cave and do that then we are betraying the big idea of the world's ultimate value proposition.

I guess there are few people playing on this model of direct-to-consumer high luxury but with an actual product that matches up... I know when we started we were the first and only. I also understand how so many times the precedent has been set by general direct-to-consumer players who put more into advertising than product but it is really sad to see someone who seems to be pretty well respected go ahead and review a brand without even seeing and feeling the product.

The leather we use is exceptional, so much so that it is reserved for custom or special grade shoes by brands like JL, EG and GG. It is unusually soft and durable at the same time and really takes the shape of the foot so when the foot is in the shoe, the shoe always looks great. Downside, with wear and not treated well (i abuse mine) it does require a little care to look great without the foot inside. It will however last the length of the 12 re-soles handwelted shoes can undergo.

Great to hear you got it.
So we had this in the thread a while back with someone concerned with the creasing. I shared pictures of my tester pair when we were choosing the leather and this particular skin has a very unique property and is usually reserved for bespoke or special edition pairs. So when not worn the shoes wont look as great but when worn it will pop back to life... I will try and find the post it was a while back when we were explaining all this. I think i want to doxa video on it because i really vest up my pair and it looked all beaten and worn, never polished or used any product on it and just got it resoled and the upper looks brand new. The leather is soft but surprisingly resiliant, you will see over time.

o_O o_O o_O o_O

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how is this:

different that this?

and no disrespect but is there anyone ever that looks at that picture and said the leather looks good???
It was very obvious from day 1 that they were horrible. I also ask myself how can one not see this looking at the pics.

dukenukem4ever

Reaction score
So how is this:

different that this?

Well first of all those aren't even wholecut chelseas.

George Mason

Reaction score
He's constructed using a never before seen method that is far superior to your inane knowledge of shoe construction methods which is both longer lasting and cheaper to the customer
This is true. Additionally, his birth was an extraordinary new model of direct to consumer, as he went directly from the womb to his crib, without the outrageous middleman obstetrician 900% mark up!

Handwelted

Reaction score
So how is this:

different that this?

See my quote above. The leather looks like junk because it’s not on foot. When worn the leather transforms.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy