• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure anyone is asking anything at this point.

Well I guess I am or did.
Unfortunately, one of those questions wouldn't be relevant at this point because of the construction of the shoes.

One question was if you requested a refund or remake. The boys on here said you received a refund, so that answered that.

The other question was how the shoes compared to Meermin, if you had them that is. But because these AoLs are not HW'd, the question really is not appropriate.
Don't own Meermin.

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
Don't own Meermin.
So we have come to the point where the shoes that were ostensibly being compared to EG are now being compared to Meermin?

No shade to Meermin, I like them a lot, but this is not even a remotely close spectrum of shoes

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So we have come to the point where the shoes that were ostensibly being compared to EG are now being compared to Meermin?

No shade to Meermin, I like them a lot, but this is not even a remotely close spectrum of shoes
I think the way forward here is that we pass the shoes around and compare them to each and every brand, like how my Asian parents compare me to every Asian son.

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
I think the way forward here is that we pass the shoes around and compare them to each and every brand, like how my Asian parents compare me to every Asian son.
Well are you a doctor, lawyer or engineer?

I hate to be that guy, but given the product that was actually delivered we should only be comparing them to Cole Haan or Magnanni

upsett1_spaghett1

Reaction score
Contextually, that question should have been whether he's hand welted, goodyear welted, or is just glued together with a single face saving stitch somewhere where it's highly visible.
He's constructed using a never before seen method that is far superior to your inane knowledge of shoe construction methods which is both longer lasting and cheaper to the customer

Verrihappy

Reaction score
A bit of research reveals the younger Italian cordwainer of AOL goes by the name Alessandro Cappi.

Apparently they have never made hand welted shoes before, only Goodyear glued ones that beat Edward Green in quality, aesthetics and value, so I was told.

Hit the link mate.

Last edited:

Verrihappy

Reaction score
If any of you swindled customers is conversant In Italian, suggest you talk to the father and son duo and hear their side of the sca... sorry, story.

Verrihappy

Reaction score
Apparently the AOL guy ordered £5,000 worth of shoes from Mr. Porter, tried them on and returned the whole lot. Their holier than thou crap about integrity and ethics are laughable and execrable.
Sorry, typo there. Was actually £50,000 worth of Lobbs etc from Mr. Porter.

Verrihappy

Reaction score
Link to Alessandro Cappi website, most shoes retail at around €400. Instead of the hyped, struggling artisanal workshop, it's actually doing contracting work, and selling their shoes online.

Nothing about the lost art of hand welted shoes though.

Last edited:

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
The artisan school of what now?View attachment 1591634
I thought you edited this as a meme but actually checked it out and omg, you can't make this shit up haha.

(As an Italian speaker I think I do understand what he tried to say, but probably he spelled it wrong even in Italian and the translator got it wrong. But it's funnier not to think about this :D)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.