• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archibald London Hand Welted Shoes - preorder issues, discussion,and resolution.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really love the Dover as a shoe, but I would prefer it on the 202 or 82 last.

That colour is quite beautiful, though.

The 82 is probably the only EG last I don't like. It's just a bit too pointy for me. But it works for some people.

For me, there's something in inherently very masculine looking about a good chisel toe. While the firm is quite terrible now, I admire those old GC shoes with the "suspiciously square" toe. Have seen some men in real life wear old A&S suits with old GC shoes, and the silhouette is very, very good.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EG's Dover on the 606 is probably one of my favorite shoes. IMO, it's a really nice, masculine shape.

View attachment 1589034

To me Dover is the split toe all other measure by (and I definitely prefer chisel split toe to round split toe), should have gone for it when it was $450 in 2009 on B&S by someone? but then I was making a lot less so that was "prudent"..., now I'm just taking a piss at the price EG charge for Dover...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 82 is probably the only EG last I don't like. It's just a bit too pointy for me. But it works for some people.

For me, there's something in inherently very masculine looking about a good chisel toe. While the firm is quite terrible now, I admire those old GC shoes with the "suspiciously square" toe. Have seen some men in real life wear old A&S suits with old GC shoes, and the silhouette is very, very good.

I could see how it could suit a certain look and outfit. Gaziano can work with certain things.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me Dover is the split toe all other measure by (and I definitely prefer chisel split toe to round split toe), should have gone for it when it was $450 in 2009 on B&S by someone? but then I was making a lot less so that was "prudent"..., now I'm just taking a piss at the price EG charge for Dover...

I would agree that the Dover is the greatest split toe on the planet. It definitely is the Platonic form of Split Toe.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw if anyone has the AOL shoes and will toss them away, send them to me I have been brainstorming over some YouTube shenanigans and have been working on after effects on some kamehameha waves

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could see how it could suit a certain look and outfit. Gaziano can work with certain things.

think DWW meant George Cleverley rather than Gaziano and Girling? I like GC's chisel toe as well, but given how their bespoke has turn out lately, pass...

edit: though I suppose its RTW is just fine (since it's EG/CJ/AS)...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw if anyone has the AOL shoes and will toss them away, send them to me I have been brainstorming over some YouTube shenanigans and have been working on after effects on some kamehameha waves

Noble, I'll send you these shoes eventually. Wanna PM me the mailing details? I'm in the US, though.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
think DWW meant George Cleverley rather than Gaziano and Girling? I like GC's chisel toe as well, but given how their bespoke has turn out lately, pass...

Sorry, was posting on my phone, so I saw GC as GG. Apologies.

deliku

Reaction score
D1284BFC-774C-4EAF-9A69-2BA0E1E313E8.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ The one split toe derby to rule them all, IMO...

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC05668.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

Hiro Yanagimachi L33 on his international last, modified for my feet. I never liked Dover that much, a bunch of chunk and rather boring, as all EG shoes apart from some of their Top Drawer versions. I find for example G&G Hove on DG70 or similar much better IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads