• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aran sweater

Reaction score
I am looking for an aran sweater; something artisanal, not mass produced. Any good mills to look out for? There are many on eBay but I cant separate the wheat from the chaff. I figure now is a good time to buy with the exchange rate in my favor.

I thank you.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Been curious about this myself.

JO3B

Reaction score
uniqlo made one of these this year and it looked wonderful. except it wasn't 100% wool.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two words: "Irish" "Imports". It's a store in Cambridge MA with the designer quality, rill dill Irish sweaters and outerwear (check out their Donegal tweed jackets), at really affordable prices. However, you are going to have to size down, as their sweaters are made generally made in Ireland for big Irish lads and not for hipster doofuses (doofi?) living in Red Hook.

http://www.irishimportsltd.com/

The people who run the place are super nice to boot. Call them. I am sure that they can hook you up. Also, get one of their knit ties, which would go great with a suit from Freeman's Sporting club or with your Engineered Garments gear - for $30.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like the perfect source. Although, their website is like one of those flash games where you just aren't fast enough (I hope I'm not the only one).

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're getting an aran, do it right:

• Go hand-knit (atleast hand-loomed) from Ireland/Aran Isles area
  • Thick knit, in pure wool color
  • Tightly woven with longer fibers. Reduce pilling, maintain shape.
  • No overly droopy arnholes
  • Hugs around the body for a good fit, no pooching at waist

Some knit patterns will be much more appealing than others. Frankly, I prefer the bead effect patterns with soft loopey cablings (sorry, horrible discription).

If you want to go designer (not true aran obv.), Margiela put out one recently with a twist on one with a shawl neck over the traditional crewneck.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
If you're getting an aran, do it right:
  • Go hand-knit (atleast hand-loomed) from Ireland/Aran Isles area
  • Thick knit, in pure wool color
  • Tightly woven with longer fibers. Reduce pilling, maintain shape.
  • No overly droopy arnholes
  • Hugs around the body for a good fit, no pooching at waist
^ that's exactly what i am after anyone know of a legit mill or retailer of said sweaters? i am averse to paying the full 300+ and am hoping to snipe something off eBay oh and thanks fok

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a vintage one in excellent condtion once minorly cleaned like I descibed from a company named Malinmor that fits what I described for a song. So ebay deals can be had, I know sources exist new, but I wouldn't know anything more about them than what google will tell me.

JO3B

Reaction score
oh hey, black fleece has an aran sweater for $175 online.

made in ireland, perhaps that might tickle your fancy?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JO3B
oh hey, black fleece has an aran sweater for $175 online.

made in ireland, perhaps that might tickle your fancy?

+1. Saw it in person today at the Brooks. Didn't try it on, but it looked really nice.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean probably offers a budget option at 119. Its made in Ireland, but I can't vouch for its quality one way or another.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads