• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aran Geansaí

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's also Inverallan, which is located in Scotland. They're handknitted and made from heavier, coarser wool yarns

Pandaros

Reaction score
There's also Inverallan, which is located in Scotland. They're handknitted and made from heavier, coarser wool yarns

They look really good - and they're excellent value. I think we should have some discussion on this forum about the different woollen mills. I think you're in the US - is there the same tradition? Not sure if sheep farming has the same footprint in society as here. For a long time there were more sheep than people in the British Isles, but that ended in the second half of the 19th century.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They look really good - and they're excellent value. I think we should have some discussion on this forum about the different woollen mills. I think you're in the US - is there the same tradition? Not sure if sheep farming has the same footprint in society as here. For a long time there were more sheep than people in the British Isles, but that ended in the second half of the 19th century.

Hard to maintain a woolen mill here. I don't know the economics of it, but from what I can tell, agriculture is mostly focused on food. Such farming is heavily subsidized by the government while manufacturing processes used for clothing are mostly left to fend for themselves.

Three years ago, Woolrich Woolen Mills, one of the more iconic American woolen mills and supposedly the inventor of buffalo plaid, closed its fabric manufacturing operations in the US.

There are still some places left -- Faribault, Pendleton, Northwest, and American Woolen Company (formerly Warren Mills) come to mind.

I think of the Shaker sweater as the American version of the Aran. Shakers used to be knitted by small Christian groups that went by the same name, but I think they're mostly done by bigger companies now. Fall River Knitting Mills offers them every once in a while.

Mirage-

Reaction score
If you want a more modern, comfortable jumper than a true Aran, but still made in Ireland, Fisherman out of Ireland would be my first stop, available at Blarney.com.

It's not hand-knitted, and the wool is merino, but it's spun and knitted in Donegal. I have a couple of theirs, but I am going to be adding a hand-knitted Aran soon.
I quite like the high-collar cardigan. It also looks great in black, thanks to the contrasting flecks, which is rare to me, I almost always dislike black. But why is their knitwear dry-clean only? That makes no sense to me.

1636017201201.png

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
But why is their knitwear dry-clean only? That makes no sense to me.
I always hand wash any knit that isn't 100% cotton, I'm sure my Fisherman jumper is hand wash or wool cycle. I will check when I get home.

I do have a Ralph Lauren jumper (not sure which line, but not one of the more expensive ones!) that is 100% cotton and dry clean only, which is even more unusual. I hand washed it once and didn't seem to damage it.

Last edited:

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I quite like the high-collar cardigan. It also looks great in black, thanks to the contrasting flecks, which is rare to me, I almost always dislike black. But why is their knitwear dry-clean only? That makes no sense to me.

View attachment 1697486
Just realised I have a beanie from that company in my coat pocket: I checked and it is handwash or dry clean.
20211104_093640.jpg
20211104_093654.jpg

Springwell

Reaction score
While its not an Aran sweater, I got this outdoor geansai for Christmas. Only tried on for size so far. Lovely lanolin smell from the wool and fits me well. Seems well made to my uneducated eye. First pic has bad lighting. The colour is uniform throughout the garment. https://www.kerrywoollenmills.ie/ are a small producer outside Killarney, in Kerry, Ireland. Looking forward to wearing this after Christmas! It should be ideal with jeans and boots and is a more affordable option

original_e403a253-7d80-4631-b984-89933cdb28df_IMG_20221201_113715.jpg

IMG_20221201_113629.jpg

Last edited:

Pandaros

Reaction score
As an update to this thread, I finally got around to getting an Aran jumper.

I settled with the Aran Sweater Market and got a heavy aran. Really impressed at the quality and price and what this mill puts back into the community. I would recommend to anyone here looking for one. I got a white speckled and it goes with pretty much any coat.

And it really brings back memories of my youth, because it really does smell like raw wool

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads