• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aquascutum in receivership

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read about this on the BBC News website. The article states that there are only 3 stores in the UK: Canary Wharf, Westfield and Windsor. Had they previously closed the Regent Street flagship?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they can do like Burberry did and turn themselves around, find an appropriate investor.

Aquacustum is still a famous respected British brand, isn't it?

Think their main product is raincoats, they'll probably have to relaunch and diversify, like what Burberry did. They're almost unheard of here in China, unlike Burberry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17744983
Its clothes are manufactured in Corby, Northamptonshire.
...that will probably end.

Last edited:

AndyMG

Reaction score
They'd better not go bust before I finish saving for my trench coat.

E TF

Reaction score
Yes the Regent St shop shut a year or two ago - I think the writing has been on the wall since then. You could buy their rain coats on perpetual sale in Austin Reed over the road but that was a much more downmarket experience than their own shop. They seemed to be going in the opposite direction to Burberry in that respect and it clearly hasn't worked. I found it interesting in that article that they had only three stores but seven outlets: I suspect they diluted their own brand - something Burberry once did but has since worked hard to reverse.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They'd better not go bust before I finish saving for my trench coat. 

You'll probably be able to buy a Made in China one next year. :uhoh:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see burberry stuff here in the midwest (in general, not a brand conscious place. at least not a quality brand) I mostly see purses and scarves, it is always a woman.

I may be the only person with aquascutum stuff though. I own a trench coat and a mac coat, both navy/blue, both 100% cotton. I would not trade them for anything!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shame. Hopefully there's a way forward; they do make nice raincoats.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never been able to get past the name.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a beautiful lightweight wool and silk Aquascutum jacket. Their stuff is always good but their problem is that they have not really established a consistent, distinctive and recognisable identity, which sadly matters more than just making good clothes in a global marketplace.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Its a great shame, another top notch English manufacturer with not far off 200 years of heritage down the drain. Wether they live or die now theres very little chance it'll ever be the same business, outside investors will nearly inevitably squeeze the corpse dry of credibility then sell the brand name on..

Ivon

Reaction score
Not sure if they are completely done, their is substantial value attached with the name, but after reading over the article I see some tricky obstacles if I were a potential buyer. First would be where to we go with the brand? Asian rights might be the key to long term viability, but a third party owns them? My best guess is some global conglomerate will snatch them up and try to do a brand reinvention a la Burberry. No reason they can't go forward with new backing and a better vision. Barbour and Burberry seem to be doing well these days. Didn't Norman Hilton go **** up a few years ago?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Tweedy

Reaction score
Such a shame and sadly a sign of the times we live in ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads