• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aquascutum in receivership

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Malford should scoop up some Aqua macs at deep discount and make it rain on the B&S. :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

Can I get a concurring opinion?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never been able to get past the name.

Nor could I, it's rather a tongue twister.

Noticed I misspelled it in my previous post, oh well never mind.

Don't know how the Chinese are going to spell it though, if and when they get started with the bad counterfeits. They don't seem to know how to spell Prada or Gucci half the time.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sad news, Aquascutum has been placed in receivership: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17744983

I am deeply saddened to read this. Did the dark days coincide with the death of the Queen mother and the loss of the Royal Warrant per chance? Or was it just good old fashioned bad management mixed with bad times? I hope they get a miracle. This company deserves to live.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You never heard about 雅格丹狮?

Is there any actual pictures of their products? Just seems to be catwalk photos on their site. TBH I've not actually seen any obvious Aquascutum knock-offs where I am.

I'm talking about stuff that's just awful and horrible, where the really famous lux names, logos and patterns are completely abused and misspelled, e.g. Burberry, Prada, Versace, Armani, LV, Gucci, D&G, etc. Aquascutum doesn't seem to have that honour yet AFAICT. If they go expanding into the lucrative Chinese market, that will inevitably happen.

Does Aquascutum have a distinctive logo or pattern, possibly their capital "A"? e.g. distinctive eagle or phoenix logos, Medusa heads, interlocking Gs, Nova Check, charging knights, polo ponies or whatever.

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i couldnt imagine anyone knocking of an aqauscutum especially because Burberry makes a very similar looking product. and everyone loves burberry. everyone

Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was saddened by this news, a great english brand. couple of years ago they did a younger suit range designed by nick hart which was really nice, i thought they were headed in the right direction.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About two years ago much of the design team jumped ship. One of them now heads up Chester Barrie, another is taking on Richard James Mayfair.

Real shame, I love the shape of their cuts, and have several SC's from them. Looking to pick up a couple of coats during the fire-sale.

E TF

Reaction score
I've never been able to get past the name.

Nor could I, it's rather a tongue twister.

Scuto is Latin for shield, thus aquascutum = "water shield".

I am deeply saddened to read this. Did the dark days coincide with the death of the Queen mother and the loss of the Royal Warrant per chance? Or was it just good old fashioned bad management mixed with bad times? I hope they get a miracle. This company deserves to live.

This I suspect. Though menswear is apparently bucking the trend at the moment, and the wealthy are well insulated from recession, so selling clothes to the rich ought to be a good business to be in.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scuto is Latin for shield, thus aquascutum = "water shield".

Doesn't sound very catchy though IMO, Latin never does. Even the pronunciation seems ambiguous. Is it ah-kwa-skew-tum or ah-kwas-kut-um? I've always pronounced it as the latter, but I've heard it as the former as well. I've also heard it pronounced as ah-kwah-kus-tum.

Last edited:

E TF

Reaction score

Doesn't sound very catchy though IMO. Even the pronunciation seems ambiguous. Is it ah-kwa-skew-tum or ah-kwas-kut-um? I've always pronounced it as the latter, but I've heard it as the former as well. I've also heard it pronounced as ah-kwah-kus-tum.

Sure not a good name for this day and age, was just explaining where it came from, i.e. the days when they sold raincoats to chaps who'd done latin at school. Said customers have all but died off now, which is part of their problem. And it's more like ah-kwa-skoo-tum, but if you say it fast enough they all end up much the same.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure not a good name for this day and age, was just explaining where it came from, i.e. the days when they sold raincoats to chaps who'd done latin at school. Said customers have all but died off now, which is part of their problem. And it's more like ah-kwa-skoo-tum, but if you say it fast enough they all end up much the same.

OK.. :)

BTW I don't think there's a definitive Chinese translation for Aquascutum either, unlike Burberry 巴宝莉 or Armani 阿玛尼. I just asked a couple of the Chinese English teachers in our office here, how they'd pronounce it. They didn't know.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads