• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

April 77 SS09

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not feeling most of it. The oversized hoodie looks okay, but, meh, I dunno. Doesn't look like much interesting and the fits are mostly oversized so nothing to brag about there for me.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird, I really liked the fit of chrono's a77 skinny chinos, but the ss09 looks way more drapey. It's an interesting use of color, though, and the photo on the right side of the fashionindie page is hawt.

chrispy179

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Not feeling most of it. The oversized hoodie looks okay, but, meh, I dunno. Doesn't look like much interesting and the fits are mostly oversized so nothing to brag about there for me.

agreed. they seem to be obsessed with oversizing almost everything. most of it looks pretty mediocre

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Well april 77 is a pretty mediocre brand in general so it's not surprising. That said, this spring collection is pretty poor compared to other stuff they've done in the past.

wmmk- my khakis are from the spring 07 season i think so 2 years yields quite a bit of differences

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Well april 77 is a pretty mediocre brand in general so it's not surprising.

Can't speak to other seasons, but I think this is true. Back when skinny peaked they were a good place to find 19cm-esque cuts in crazy colors/fabrics, but I think they were sort of a one-trick pony.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Well, i'm not just talking about skinny skinny. I mean, some of their looks were more interesting. The 70s punk type stuff they were into i could kinda dig. Young french rock and roll brand is a lot more fun than.....whatever this spring season could be called.

I think part of it is also that US stockists only carry the Joey super skinny fit in a couple colors and that's it. Rarely, do i see their other stuff anywhere.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
every year the denim stays consistently good while the rest of the collection gets better
Please. Consistently good? I don't think so.

I wouldn't mind picking up a pair of old colordrives from '05 or '06, or pieces from the elvis costello-inspired collection, but everything from them in the past year has been really bland, not to mention sub-par quality.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Tried on a pair of off-white jeans today and the fit is definitely a lot different than what I've seen before. This particular cut was slim and not Joey-skin tight. But the weird thing is the waist was disproportionately large compared to the hip/thigh/hem. And their price point seemed noticeably higher, at least at Barneys

chronoaug

Reaction score
Their fits for fw08 were a bit different from the past. For example, my costellos from fall07 (i think) are a size 50 and fit like a 31 with slightly big waist or really really slim 32 (31.5?). The size 50s from fw08 fit like a 33.5. They definitely adjusted the cut at least with costellos. Prices seem slightly higher last fall, but not a ton. The price does seem to vary quite a bit depending on the retailer though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics