• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

appropriate winter coat for a young adult

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had decided on a duffel coat, but couldn't find one anywhere to try on and was wary of judging fit through a computer monitor.

My plan was to get one when next in the UK, but last weekendat Marshalls I found a very nice Calvin Klein Peacoat (wool/cashmire) on sale for cheaper than all the "surplus" coats I'd seen,as well as a much better fit and make than a "surplus" coat (I use quotes because I found out that a lot of the military surplus clothing out there is made just for the surplus market, and in my experience was of really poor quality).

I'd still love a duffel (fits in w/my brit-esq style and I love the uniqueness), but am quite happy with my new grown up coat, the homeless men along my daily walk even asked me for money yesterday, when I used to wear layed hoodies he ignored me.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, only because all the cheap faux shearling I've seen the past few years has turned me off to the idea for the time being.

I did find a nice (and cheap) Columbia jacket, it was the non-suede non-smooth, but soft leather, really nice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's up to you, but I think you should be able to get a sweater under it and still have relative freedom of movement. I tend to keep utility high on my list of clothing priorities. However, it shouldn't be much looser than that either, or it won't be very warm and it will again restrict movement (big armholes mean coat moves around when you move your arms).

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the one I bought is the slimmest that I've tried on in the past few months, but is huge compared to the pictures I've seen posted in here today. It's hard, I wear slim stuff, not so much as a point of style (though I do like it from a style POV), but because I'm really tall, thin and narrow (and IMO have a small head). I feel really self cosncious in bigger coats/sweaters/shirts. Any coat I found that fit how I'd like in the torso would be half a foot at least too short in the sleeve. You walk a fine line between looking good, and fitted, and like your clothes shrunk on you.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I really like this Penguin coat.

OPG_16FR0132_212_C.jpg

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
FWIW, I had decided on a duffel coat, but couldn't find one anywhere to try on and was wary of judging fit through a computer monitor.

You might try STP for duffle coats and shearling. With their return policy, you risk only shipping costs if it doesn't fit.

Python

Reaction score
I'd get a peacoat (fitted, of course), colour depending on what suits you. Trench coats are also great (although not necessarily warm - how cold do winters get in your area anyway?), depending on what you wear underneath. It's probably worth investing in a stylish one, since it'll see a lot of use and is very noticeable (being worn outside everything else).

I wear them a lot during winter - black cashmere/wool peacoat with silver buttons from Gianni Versace, black leather peacoat from Gucci and black cotton trenchcoat from Dior. As a young guy (particularly an extroverted one) I'd be looking for something with great styling, above all else... they all look great with dark, clean jeans and Chelsea boots. When it's cold, turn up the style even more with a classy pair of leather gloves.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In "smart casual" situations, I'd like to be able to go from fall to winter by adding a coat rather than replacing my jacket with a pea coat or whatever. But sometimes a topcoat or overcoat feels too formal. My feeling is that a 3/4 or longer coat with clasps other than buttons might fit the bill. Is it appropriate to wear a duffle coat over a jacket? (Does the hood make it too casual?) What about a coat with lobster hooks as in the RL Pointe Mowhawk Jacket? What are my other options?

XFactor

Reaction score
In "smart casual" situations, I'd like to be able to go from fall to winter by adding a coat rather than replacing my jacket with a pea coat or whatever. But sometimes a topcoat or overcoat feels too formal. My feeling is that a 3/4 or longer coat with clasps other than buttons might fit the bill. Is it appropriate to wear a duffle coat over a jacket? (Does the hood make it too casual?) What about a coat with lobster hooks as in the RL Pointe Mowhawk Jacket? What are my other options?
I am thinking the same thing. What would be a good one that works well with a Suit for work day and also with a Dark Jeans on a night out?

AFCForever

Reaction score
I live in a place that gets really cold (-40C) and I find anything with an open chest like a top coat goes back in the closet at -10. Pea coats are great but they provide no leg protection and can get soaked with snow when brushing off your car or walking.

I got my first duffel coat this year (thrifted so it was only $17) and I love it. Warm up on the chest, covers a jacket and keeps my legs dry.

For the record mine is Gloverall which are about 300 GBP new IIRC but I have thrifted 2 in the last month.

Dave510

Reaction score
You resurrected an almost 7 year old thread. You are a true necromancer.

XFactor

Reaction score
I live in a place that gets really cold (-40C) and I find anything with an open chest like a top coat goes back in the closet at -10. Pea coats are great but they provide no leg protection and can get soaked with snow when brushing off your car or walking.

I got my first duffel coat this year (thrifted so it was only $17) and I love it. Warm up on the chest, covers a jacket and keeps my legs dry.

For the record mine is Gloverall which are about 300 GBP new IIRC but I have thrifted 2 in the last month.
Where from did you thrift them? And how? Any tips/ tactics/ things to keep in mind/ look for for a newbie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads