1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

appropriate winter coat for a young adult

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ruben, Dec 1, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Get a Filson.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Check STP and note the difference between a topcoat and a duffle coat. The latter is visibly more casual.

3. ruben

ruben Senior member

Apologies if this is out of place but...

Is there a preferred online surplus store?
    The military surplus stores in my area seem to only carry camo and ammo cans.

I feel even sillier for asking this, but are the sizes on military coats the same as a suit/regular coat?

I measured my chest (35") added 2" (37"), and since the store didn't have 37" coats, I tried on a 38" and it was tiny, the sleeves fit like a raglan.
    Do I have coat sizing right? I've never worn a coat that wasn't s,m,l,xl-style sizing.

4. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I recently received a black Sterlingwear peacoat and I love it. That's my personal recommendation. I also like streamlined three-quarter-length single-breasted coats -- think chesterfield.

How's the quality of the Sterlingwear peacoat? Is it also stylish?

5. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

How's the quality of the Sterlingwear peacoat? Is it also stylish?

I think the quality is very good, particularly for the price, and it's a substantial weight, which is something you want in a peacoat. As for the style, I very much like it. It's a more authentic and less fashiony look (which in my opinion is also something you want in a peacoat, at least your first one). If you size down from your normal suit size, you'll get a better fit. Some may not like the buttons, but they're kind of growing on me.

6. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I think the quality is very good, particularly for the price, and it's a substantial weight, which is something you want in a peacoat. As for the style, I very much like it. It's a more authentic and less fashiony look (which in my opinion is also something you want in a peacoat, at least your first one). If you size down from your normal suit size, you'll get a better fit. Some may not like the buttons, but they're kind of growing on me.

Do you have a picture of your coat?

7. King Francis

King Francis Senior member

Not at the moment. I'd have to borrow a friend's camera; maybe I'll get a picture next week when I'm not so busy.

Bryan SD has posted a picture of his Sterlingwear peacoat, though. You should do a search.

8. vanity

vanity Senior member

Just to obsessively add to my self-postings here...
    I think the problem with some longer and formal coats is that if you're not wearing fairly high-class stuff underneath you may miss your mark and end up looking like you're imitating a punk-esq thrift store style.

I would agree with that. If you're wearing t-shirts and track jackets, a peacoat or topcoat won't look right. You can pull off hoodies with them though. My college friends had peacoats and so did I. Girls liked them much better than guys in puffy coats, it seemed a little more mature.

Maybe you can find a good deal on leather motorcycle jackets. I have 2 specifically for times when I'm not formally dressed..for nightclubs and what-not. One was $40 (Black Friday sale) and one was $150 (down from $450 at marshalls)

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

ooh, like the motorcycle jacket idea.

I'm not a sloppy dresser per say, I just though a top coat was strictly to be worn with a suit.

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Get a surplus peacoat. It's a good bridge between street/jeanswear and more formal adult clothing. It won't make your other clothes look dumpy, though I agree that it doesn't go with more synthetic styles like track jackets. Plus, it's pretty cheap, and warm, and versatile. I think everyone should have one, but I'm glad everyone doesn't, or I wouldn't get nearly as many compliments when I wear mine...

11. ruben

ruben Senior member

FWIW, I had decided on a duffel coat, but couldn't find one anywhere to try on and was wary of judging fit through a computer monitor.

My plan was to get one when next in the UK, but last weekendat Marshalls I found a very nice Calvin Klein Peacoat (wool/cashmire) on sale for cheaper than all the "surplus" coats I'd seen,as well as a much better fit and make than a "surplus" coat (I use quotes because I found out that a lot of the military surplus clothing out there is made just for the surplus market, and in my experience was of really poor quality).

I'd still love a duffel (fits in w/my brit-esq style and I love the uniqueness), but am quite happy with my new grown up coat, the homeless men along my daily walk even asked me for money yesterday, when I used to wear layed hoodies he ignored me.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Have you look into getting a shearling coat?

13. ruben

ruben Senior member

No, only because all the cheap faux shearling I've seen the past few years has turned me off to the idea for the time being.

I did find a nice (and cheap) Columbia jacket, it was the non-suede non-smooth, but soft leather, really nice.

14. ruben

ruben Senior member

15. j

j Senior member Admin

It's up to you, but I think you should be able to get a sweater under it and still have relative freedom of movement. I tend to keep utility high on my list of clothing priorities. However, it shouldn't be much looser than that either, or it won't be very warm and it will again restrict movement (big armholes mean coat moves around when you move your arms).

16. ruben

ruben Senior member

Yeah, the one I bought is the slimmest that I've tried on in the past few months, but is huge compared to the pictures I've seen posted in here today. It's hard, I wear slim stuff, not so much as a point of style (though I do like it from a style POV), but because I'm really tall, thin and narrow (and IMO have a small head). I feel really self cosncious in bigger coats/sweaters/shirts. Any coat I found that fit how I'd like in the torso would be half a foot at least too short in the sleeve. You walk a fine line between looking good, and fitted, and like your clothes shrunk on you.

17. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I really like this Penguin coat.

[​IMG]

18. thinman

thinman Senior member

FWIW, I had decided on a duffel coat, but couldn't find one anywhere to try on and was wary of judging fit through a computer monitor.

You might try STP for duffle coats and shearling. With their return policy, you risk only shipping costs if it doesn't fit.

19. Python

Python Active Member

I'd get a peacoat (fitted, of course), colour depending on what suits you. Trench coats are also great (although not necessarily warm - how cold do winters get in your area anyway?), depending on what you wear underneath. It's probably worth investing in a stylish one, since it'll see a lot of use and is very noticeable (being worn outside everything else).

I wear them a lot during winter - black cashmere/wool peacoat with silver buttons from Gianni Versace, black leather peacoat from Gucci and black cotton trenchcoat from Dior. As a young guy (particularly an extroverted one) I'd be looking for something with great styling, above all else... they all look great with dark, clean jeans and Chelsea boots. When it's cold, turn up the style even more with a classy pair of leather gloves.

20. Jared

Jared Senior member

In "smart casual" situations, I'd like to be able to go from fall to winter by adding a coat rather than replacing my jacket with a pea coat or whatever. But sometimes a topcoat or overcoat feels too formal. My feeling is that a 3/4 or longer coat with clasps other than buttons might fit the bill. Is it appropriate to wear a duffle coat over a jacket? (Does the hood make it too casual?) What about a coat with lobster hooks as in the RL Pointe Mowhawk Jacket? What are my other options?