1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by makker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Double monks is a must.

Make sure you've got a granadine tie, a fancy pocket square too.

GO iGent!!!:slayer:

PS: Don't forget your beads/bracelets/wrist adornments.
    PSS: Make sure to leave ONE buckle undone on the monks, show some Sprezz...:nodding:

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+7

3. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

exactly.

it really depends on your audience and locale. if you are interviewing in a major city and in a profession where people pay attention to how they dress, (e.g., IB in NYC) there is a very good chance it will be noticed. it won't disqualify you, but it may just cause your interviewer to fleetingly wonder if you're vain or affected. typically not qualities that is valued on the job. (if on the other hand you are interviewing for IB in toledo, the nuances likely won't be noticed.)

in a job interview you want to come across as humble, low-maintenance, and focused on kicking ass on the job, not managing your wardrobe.

i have done countless interviews where people are trying to hard to look cool. there was once a guy in a loud pink gingham shirt, visibly quirky cufflinks, and pronounced stubble. the first (subconscious and then increasingly conscious) reaction was - "what are you trying to prove? give it a rest already." whether one admits it or not, instinctive, emotional factors do come into play when we size people up -- including in supposedly fact-based contexts such as interviews.

as others have said, why take the chance?

4. makker

makker Senior member

Alright, I will stick to my conservative black shoes (no square toe though). Will also fold a white pocket square with brown lining on one side neatly if it isn't too much. I doubt anyone else will be rocking a PS that day.

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

and forever be remembered as the guy with handkerchief at the firm.

you don't want to draw any attention with your attire. be ultra conservative unless you already carries a track record to warrant wearing of FU clothing

6. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

the most important thing is to ace the interview.

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Of course. That said, hiring can also be about personalities, and if someone thinks you look affected or poncy, it may have unintended negative consequences. hell, if the interviews are going well, bring out the double monks on the third or fourth interview

8. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

No pocket squares.

Jesus...is that hard to understand that you need to be conservative as hell during an interview? Push your sartorial limits after you have the job.

- Black captoe
    - No pocket squares
    - Charcoal/Navy suit
    - Simple, non-aggressive tie

It's not that hard for god's sake.

1 person likes this.
  9. otc

otc Senior member

Nah...you want to look like you have expensive tastes. Analysts with a spending problem are going to work their asses off for a big bonus/promotion/follow-up job.

Loud pink gingham guy sounds like a moron...but there's nothing really loud about a pair of solid color stately double monks. I mean...I would still wear my park avenues since they are the "interview shoe" but basically nobody will care and it will look better than the guy with slip-on square toed loafers.

10. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

+1 got some G&G double monks that I wear to work...but like the above, I've already got the job.

11. makker

makker Senior member

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

He's a member here - managing his wardrobe will be a top priority. Why lie? Own it. If it means he isn't qualified for the job, better to find out now.

OP is probably both. (no offense, I am too)

Wouldn't this be lying, kinda?

13. RSS

RSS Senior member

Wear them! Actually wear what will have you feel the most confident ... so you'll do well in the inverview.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  14. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Nobody ever failed a job interview because they wore black captoes.

In an interview situation, especially in IB, conservative is the way to go. You'll want the interviewer(s) to remember you for your kick-ass interview performance; not for being something of a dandy. If you're not subconsciously worrying about how you look, that's one less thing to distract you from the prize. Once you land the job, then it's time to spread the sartorial wings a bit.

That said, if you can do conservative better than 95% of the general population (and membership at SF indicates this is a real possibility), then it will help strengthen the overall package. It may be on a subtle, subconscious level ... but it this ends up being down to the wire between you and some other guy with exactly the same qualifications and experience - only he's in an ill-fitting suit and you're not - you'll probably end up over the line.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  15. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Smart is the way to go, dandy should be avoid.

Just to avoid these:

Fancy pattern suit e.g. Prince of wales
    Paisley / Dotted / Patterned ties or PS
    Contrasting collar shirts
    Bright socks

Demand for notch SB solid suit with no vest, black shoes, no TV fold white PS is too demanding.

I think a stripe tie, pinstripe or chalkstripe, peaked or DB suit, brown shoes with simple brogue are all 'smart' and no where near dandy.

As long as you wear a white well fitted shirt, rest is relatively minor

Well that is like HK works

Just relax, pick your usual stuff and be sharp to the interviewer.

I think to worry about dressing is also a inner sign of dandy, if you can let people feel you don't care. that will be fine

16. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

And yes, do wear you double monk.

17. OTM

OTM Senior member

If it is a Maybe, it is a NO!

18. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Obviously contexts diverge, but I have a hard time fathoming anyone noticing, much less caring, whether you wear double-monks.

19. RSS

RSS Senior member

Best response yet!

20. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Blue Pin Stripe, Cap Toes Black/Brown, White Shirt, Dressy buckled belt, Repp Tie with non-flamboyant colors, Regimental Socks in non-flamboyant colors.

Why risk it at all. Once you get the job you can sport the double monks.