Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by makker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

He'll never know this, but everything about an interviewee may be part of the impression that is formed by interviewers about him. I 'd err on the side of caution unless he has extraordinary job skills that compensate for what may be perceived as questionable personal characteristics by interviewers.

2. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

It´s just double monks, he´s not gonna put on some drop crotch trousers.

Jeez, like if someone would ostracize him for wearing a fine pair of shoes...

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

they are not the end of the world, but in the conservative world of IB, you could get someone who thinks they are awesome, or someone who thinks they are a mess. Why take the bloody chance?

4. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

Rule of thumb: If you have to ask, don't wear them.

I'm in investment banking and own a pair of double monks that I wear to work. However, I already have the job and credibility from my colleagues.

At the end of the day, the double monks may or may not attractive negative attention but why the hell take the chance? Wear simple black captoes and save the double monks for after you've secured a position.

5. otc

otc Senior member

have you seen what ibank analysts wear?

I think you'll be fine.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Double monks is a must.

Make sure you've got a granadine tie, a fancy pocket square too.

GO iGent!!!:slayer:

PS: Don't forget your beads/bracelets/wrist adornments.
    PSS: Make sure to leave ONE buckle undone on the monks, show some Sprezz...:nodding:

7. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

+7

8. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

exactly.

it really depends on your audience and locale. if you are interviewing in a major city and in a profession where people pay attention to how they dress, (e.g., IB in NYC) there is a very good chance it will be noticed. it won't disqualify you, but it may just cause your interviewer to fleetingly wonder if you're vain or affected. typically not qualities that is valued on the job. (if on the other hand you are interviewing for IB in toledo, the nuances likely won't be noticed.)

in a job interview you want to come across as humble, low-maintenance, and focused on kicking ass on the job, not managing your wardrobe.

i have done countless interviews where people are trying to hard to look cool. there was once a guy in a loud pink gingham shirt, visibly quirky cufflinks, and pronounced stubble. the first (subconscious and then increasingly conscious) reaction was - "what are you trying to prove? give it a rest already." whether one admits it or not, instinctive, emotional factors do come into play when we size people up -- including in supposedly fact-based contexts such as interviews.

as others have said, why take the chance?

9. makker

makker Senior member

Alright, I will stick to my conservative black shoes (no square toe though). Will also fold a white pocket square with brown lining on one side neatly if it isn't too much. I doubt anyone else will be rocking a PS that day.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

and forever be remembered as the guy with handkerchief at the firm.

you don't want to draw any attention with your attire. be ultra conservative unless you already carries a track record to warrant wearing of FU clothing

11. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

the most important thing is to ace the interview.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Of course. That said, hiring can also be about personalities, and if someone thinks you look affected or poncy, it may have unintended negative consequences. hell, if the interviews are going well, bring out the double monks on the third or fourth interview

13. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

No pocket squares.

Jesus...is that hard to understand that you need to be conservative as hell during an interview? Push your sartorial limits after you have the job.

- Black captoe
    - No pocket squares
    - Charcoal/Navy suit
    - Simple, non-aggressive tie

It's not that hard for god's sake.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Nah...you want to look like you have expensive tastes. Analysts with a spending problem are going to work their asses off for a big bonus/promotion/follow-up job.

Loud pink gingham guy sounds like a moron...but there's nothing really loud about a pair of solid color stately double monks. I mean...I would still wear my park avenues since they are the "interview shoe" but basically nobody will care and it will look better than the guy with slip-on square toed loafers.

15. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

+1 got some G&G double monks that I wear to work...but like the above, I've already got the job.