1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by makker, Oct 17, 2011.

1. makker

makker Senior member

I have an interview for investment banking in a few days and wondering whether I can wear my C&J double monks or should I go for something else?

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

As a recent purchaser of a st of double monks, I still say no way.

You don't have to wear black cap toes, but I would not venture over to double monks.

If you're wearing a blue suit, I think a nice pair of brown half brogues would work nicely.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought i-bankers were all about the cap toe? Anyway, I'd say no on the dub monks as well.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

You certainly can, and it's likely the interviewer won't even notice.

But you'll know that we know, and that a group of internet people are anonymously judging you for it. That will cause you great unease; thus causing you to blow the interview.

4 people like this.
  5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I feel like if you have a pair of C&J dbl monks, you probably also have a bunch of other nice shoes, including semibrogues/captoes etc.

Why not wait till you have the big shot job to express the individuality?

6. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Agree, I have lowdnes and wouldn't wear them anywhere near an interview room.

They do look sweet everywhere else though!

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1
    The odds are highly with you. Chances are, your C&J's are going to be a lot nicer than what your interviewer will be wearing.
    Don't be worried about it. Best of luck on the interview.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

It will be noticed but not discussed. However it will shape the thinking when everyone is asked for their "Top X Picks." When I ran analyst recruiting I remember looking for the smart kid with zero ego and a ridiculous work ethic (aka future indentured servant) and team first mentality that was socially adequate that dressed okay, but not quite right due to a small budget. You can fix the wardrobe later. All signs of a great analyst that will work hard and have minimal entitlement issues.

Anyway stick with captoes.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Read: if you want to be hired as a drone, dress like one.

Wear the monks, fuck it.

3 people like this.
  11. PL92106

PL92106 Senior member

Drone, investment banking analyst. interchangeable terms. its a two year sacrifice so you can move in to something better.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This. Db's may draw attention if noticed, which during an interview, is not the attention you want. I'd dress conservatively for an interview, and I don't consider my db's as conservative.

13. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

Love all my DBs, but would not think of wearing them for an interview, the same way I would not wear an unusual tie. You want the attention on your personality and what you have to say, not on your feet.

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

Yes, no one will even notice. Your feet are not being interviewed unless your interlocuter is a fetishist.

15. turtleorrodeo

turtleorrodeo Member

The conventional answer is no. However, I think a bright pocket square would attract much more attention.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

He'll never know this, but everything about an interviewee may be part of the impression that is formed by interviewers about him. I 'd err on the side of caution unless he has extraordinary job skills that compensate for what may be perceived as questionable personal characteristics by interviewers.

17. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

It´s just double monks, he´s not gonna put on some drop crotch trousers.

Jeez, like if someone would ostracize him for wearing a fine pair of shoes...

18. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

they are not the end of the world, but in the conservative world of IB, you could get someone who thinks they are awesome, or someone who thinks they are a mess. Why take the bloody chance?

19. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

Rule of thumb: If you have to ask, don't wear them.

I'm in investment banking and own a pair of double monks that I wear to work. However, I already have the job and credibility from my colleagues.

At the end of the day, the double monks may or may not attractive negative attention but why the hell take the chance? Wear simple black captoes and save the double monks for after you've secured a position.

1 person likes this.
  20. otc

otc Senior member

have you seen what ibank analysts wear?

I think you'll be fine.