• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Appropriate Mens Jewelry'

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright - all kidding aside, I need to poll you gents about some mens jewlery.

I used to be into silver (necklace, earrings, multiple rings, bracelet- pretty ****, then again I had spiked frosted hair), untill I moved to a beach town, and then switched to more tasteful cloth/rope/leather type stuff (I actually have a piece to string around my wrist now), and a leather strapped shell around my neck (I made it myself, and its something that has some meaning to me). I have started wearing non metalic strapped watches, and I would describe my general style as something along the lines of banana republic meets jcrew, but I try to follow all the rules I can.

I am looking for something new to wear, I have found I kind of like wearing a ring again (just one, tasteful in silver), and I am ready to ditch the necklace.

I like to put something on and not take it off again untill it breaks, so what are some suggestions for tasteful necklaces, that you would really only see around my neckline in t-shirt, but are not just plain silver rope (a possibilty). Also, whats the concesus on religious icons (I am jewish, and have thought about a chai, or a star)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think any jewelry is going to be historically "appropriate" other than a wedding band and a watch. That said, it's 2009. I think a single bracelet, a single necklace, a single ring etc are fine.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
colla000.jpg

- B

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking more for a necklace

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don't think any jewelry is going to be historically "appropriate" other than a wedding band and a watch. That said, it's 2009. I think a single bracelet, a single necklace, a single ring etc are fine.

henry_viii.jpg

Real estate

Reaction score
I wear a white gold ring on my right hand, a brushed stainless steel watch on the left, and a 24k gold chain (4mm wide x 18in long) necklace as everyday wear. I think that is enough. And if I have a suite and tie on, the necklace is hidden so I have the tie clip and cufflinks on, if I'm wearing a frech cuff shirt

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I wear only three pieces of jewelry, two of which aren't visible:

1) My wedding band
2) A white/yellow link chain my parents gave me when I was 18
3) A white/yellow Star of David my then gf/now wife gave me when I was 19

Those 3 never, ever come off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads