• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Appropriate Light Jacket/Blazer for the Callow

collin

Reaction score
Let me start off by apologizing for being fairly unenlightened about the SF-level of class but I am in need of advice. I'm trying to work my way up so I was looking for a consult
. Living in North Dakota, there aren't many venues for high fashion either.

Last year I was quite enamored by Larry David's blazer/jacket that he always wore (in theory, maybe not something for 50 year olds, but still).

I found something suitable at a big chain and was content until it ripped. Now I am looking for something a little nicer. What I want is something that I can wear pretty casually over a dress shirt (but with jeans) when the time is appropriate. The need is almost as functional as style as I don't always want to wear a long coat but want another layer.

My first candidate is a Hugo Boss blazer that caught my eye at the Minneapolis airport, but it may be too dressy -- not something to wear super casually. Also its velvet and that seems to be of mixed opinion (as is Boss here, but I really like my Boss suit so its the first place I went).

I really like it but 40% seems low compared to many of comments that 'Hugo Boss should be 75%' (I did some research before I posted!).

What do SF-er's think? Am I confusing appropriate attire? Are blazers appropriate as light, functional jackets (especially in Fall/Spring)? Is there a better place to find the HB blazer?

Taxler

Reaction score
The velvet blazer in that picture isn't too dressy. I'd look for a different color if I wanted to wear it with jeans.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40