• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate headwear for casual dining?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And by "casual dining", I mean one of those small, relatively nicely appointed bistro style restaurants that have been popping up in newly built shopping centers near airports. A recent review described the establishment as "...isn't gorgeous. You certainly don't feel pampered there. But for mid- to upper-price Asian fare, it is satisfying." I'm saying that while the place wasn't a fine dining destination, it was a step or two above T.G.I. Fridays.

We had spent Sunday afternoon bargain shopping and stopped here on the way home for a light evening meal. We were dressed for our task, mostly in recent/fitted/dark wash presentable jeans and nice sweaters/shirts. Casual but certainly not dressy by any means.

In this internet sourced photo above , we were seated at the table where you can see the person's face looking in the camera's direction, just beyond the stacks of white napkins. Shortly after our order was taken a young family of three was seated at the table next to us. The child, a lad of less than 10, was wearing a bandana on his head and Dad wore a knit cap featuring the logo of the local NFL franchise similar to this.

Neither piece of headwear was removed throughout the meal.

Now, before you opine that perhaps the cap was worn for reasons involving hair care, allow me to point out that it was placed on the gentleman's head in a manner that allowed a partial view of his hair so that it was obvious that his hair style of choice was of the shaved yet stubbly genre. The bandana wearing young man obviously needed to keep his on due to the uncontrollable nature of his current style of hair. As he was a child, I can't fault him in this instance.

The meal was satisfying and not unduly disrupted due to the guy sitting next to me so in the grand scheme, I suppose there's no harm done. Upon leaving, I noticed another diner wearing a baseball cap (59 50) as in the picture below.

:facepalm:

I post this on styleforum because I feel that some here will understand, others, perhaps not but none of the other forums (fora?) on which I participate would have a clue.

Old Fogyism on my part, no doubt.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty fogey-ish about a lot of things, Dig, but wearing hats indoors doesn't bother me any more than does putting one's elbows on the dinner table. The rules against such things seem quaintly antiquated to me.

Wearing sunglasses indoors, on the other hand, pisses me off a bit, as do people who, out of habit, put their phones face-up on the table right next to the silverware so that they can monitor incoming calls and texts while ostensibly having dinner or drinks with others.

See? I'm still a fogey. :)

Juliane

Reaction score
Wearing sunglasses indoors is really silly. I don't understand why people do that...

dannybear

Reaction score
Wearing sunglasses indoors is really silly. I don't understand why people do that...

I do it sometimes if I'm running in somewhere quickly, I find that if I hang them off my clothes they fall off onto the ground (almost ruined a few pairs of sunglasses that way)

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am annoyed by guys wearing their cheap fashion statement fedoras in side restaurants.

what annoys me even more, is when I hand my hat to a coat check girl, and she is not sure where to put it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wearing a hat indoors is ridiculous. The same goes for sporting sunglasses inside or after dark. Both amount fashion without an ounce of substance.

As for the dining establishment the OP describes, I can't recall ever dining in a shopping center. I can't even recall the last time I went to a shopping center.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rally no big deal in those types of establishments....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rally no big deal in those types of establishments....
You really are right. If one decides to 'dine' in this kind of establishment, one really shouldn't expect the impossible.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is only acceptable if it is a Ravens hat. :nodding: Anything worthwhile at Arundel Mills?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remove my hat when I eat. I know many others do not, but this is just another personal reminder as why I am better than them.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks like a sportsbar to me. like a tgif!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dig you are from Baltimore area?!?!?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While your at it ... the sentence should end with a nominative pronoun.

Thank you Harvey (see below) ... You're
OOPS

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads