• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Funeral Attire

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
As the thread title states, what is appropriate attire for a funeral. My next door neighbour passed away and I want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. Yes, I have looked at other threads and have come to a pretty good conclusion of what I will wear, but I just want to ensure that I'm not doing anything wrong. For the record, I don't care about looking good, but more not dishonouring the deceased.

I have to wear something for two days - viewing and the funeral the next day.

I have:
- 2 suits: navy blue and mid grey (I've read more charcoal and dark colours, so I want to make sure it's ok.)
- Black captoes and brown punched captoes. Would the brown be appropriate for one of the days?
- I'm ok with white shirts.
- Ties: I have a black silk knitted tie - would that be too much? I'm sure I can find something else appropriate

Basically the main questions are regarding the appropriateness of the mid grey suit, brown punched captoes, and black silk knit tie.

Thanks guys

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes and white shirt for sure. I'm not sure what I think of the black knit tie; you may be better off with another dark and appropriately somber tie. I think a medium grey suit is better than the navy suit for something somber.

I also suggest for future purposes buying a black grenadine or another black tie that does not have a lot of sheen to it.

Balfour

Reaction score
Black shoes and white shirt for sure. I'm not sure what I think of the black knit tie; you may be better off with another dark and appropriately somber tie. I think a medium grey suit is better than the navy suit for something somber.

I also suggest for future purposes buying a black grenadine or another black tie that does not have a lot of sheen to it.
Agree with all this, save for the suit. If this is a 'true navy' (inky very dark blue), rather than a 'blue suit', I would go with navy over mid-grey. Charcoal would be preferable (although these days, these fine distinctions pale into insignificance compared with what some consider appropriate to occasions like this).

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Since you said you need something for each day, I would suggest the mid-grey for the viewing and the navy for the funeral. White shirt and black shoes for both. Then some dark-colored non-knit tie for each. My closet is similar, in that I only have a mid-grey and navy suit, with the remainder being sportcoats. I wore my suits in this manner for a recent viewing/funeral and felt it was perfectly appropriate (although you should remember that, as stated above, you will be wearing something exponentially more respectful than most to both the viewing and the funeral)

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Black shoes it is, I'll wear mid-grey for viewing and navy for funeral, and I'll find a non-knit tie that will work.

I appreciate the responses. Kind of got caught off guard with all of this, but I'm glad I can refer to you guys for help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads