• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate fabric for low-cut formal vest

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am deciding between two low-cut vests to accompany my tuxedo, and I'm not sure which has the more appropriate fabric. I recently purchased this RLPL vest on discount. It is made entirely of grosgrain, not just the facing on its lapels. There is also this option from Brooks Brothers, except in black, which is available in my local store. It's made entirely of cotton pique.

Obviously, having a vest cut from the same fabric as my suit would be the best option, but this is not possible. Which is a better option for pairing with my tux: the grosgrain or pique version? My shirt has a pique front, and the lapel facings are grosgrain. The grosgrain on the vest does not perfectly match the facings, but it's very close.

Also, stylistically they are very similar, with two small differences. The RLPL is a four button, while the BB is a more traditional three. The extra button doesn't really change the look, though. Also, the lapels of the RLPL are rounded at the bottom, while the BB are squared off. I wouldn't think either of these differences would really matter, but does anyone know if one style is more appropriate for black tie than the other?

Price and fit for both is about the same for me. Any thoughts on which to go with?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Unless you wear a wing collar shirt, with proper wings and good height to the collar, I would get the black one. I absolutely would not wear a white vest with a turndown collar formal shirt.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I mentioned my intent would be to get the BB version in black, not white. The white is the only color available on the web site and was only provided to show the fabric, not the color. Sorry for the confusion. I'm only considering black for this vest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Black pique?!? Get the grosgrain.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Black pique?!? Get the grosgrain.

Unless I'm mistaken, which I very well could be. I'm sure someone else here probably knows the answer.

I haven't actually seen the BB version in person. However, I called the store and was told they had the lowcut version in black. I guess I just assumed it was the same fabric as the white version. I guess it could very well be made in another material. I'll have to go take a look at it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Brooks used to sell all formal wear as separates, not full suits. So it's possible that it's black wool, from the same wool as their dinner jackets and trousers.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If wool, then how would that compare with grosgrain? More gauche to have unmatching wools than unmatching grosgrain? Thanks, as usual, for your advise and help.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think I would rather have the grosgrain, which is obviously not meant to match, than a wool that looked the least bit "off".

Rebel_5

Reaction score
The Brooks Brother black formal vest is matte silk. It is not pique.

Cordovan

Reaction score
I just looked at the pics - does the BB come down low enough over the trouser waist?

Cordovan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads