• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate context of these non-safe ties...?

Jan_

Reaction score
I'm kinda tie-illiterate (-> suitability) so I'm asking the MC swarm intelligence about these (probably) non-safe ties with regard to the context in which they can be worn (i.e., if they can be worn at all):

ties.jpg

I like the first three ones for business (note: I run my own businesses and lead negotations, do product presentations a.s.o. so I guess I'm allowed to be bold from time to time) and yachting events and alike. The 2nd one could look dated, but I'm not sure--but with the SC closed the lower part isn't seen anyway.

The 4th one looks to me like a Persian rug, but I like it. It looks fine with lighter odd jackets. I'm unsure about suitability for business so I only used it for vernissages and similar events.

The 5th one is only for the (not so often) occasion that I get invited to a tennis match (as a spectator). But what do you think, is it stupid? (It's a woven tennis player with woven crossed tennis rackets).

The 6th one reminds me of harvest festival and I totally like the colours. But I only dare to wear it when talking to SME customers...
smile.gif

Your thoughts?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like any of them. 1, 3 & 4 may be wearable. The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.

jdldore

Reaction score
They are not my style, but I am a lawyer and generally play it on the safer side. They are bold and would suit a bold personality. I do not think #5 is "stupid" at all, but I like to watch and play tennis. If you like them, then you should wear them comfortably.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 and 3 could work with the right pieces. i feel like 2 and 4 could be wear underneath a v-neck. 4 and 5 say hello to the trash can. j/k.

Gwarg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I don't particularly like any of them. 1, 3 & 4 may be wearable. The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.
+1

Jan_

Reaction score
The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.

Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

Originally Posted by jdldore
If you like them, then you should wear them comfortably.

So you wouldn't think I'm clueless trash when you meet me wearing them? Whew...

Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
1 and 3 could work with the right pieces. i feel like 2 and 4 could be wear underneath a v-neck. 4 and 5 say hello to the trash can. j/k.

To you the same question: Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

juvefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jan_
Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

So you wouldn't think I'm clueless trash when you meet me wearing them? Whew...

To you the same question: Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

Because it looks like you're trying too had

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juvefan
Because it looks like you're trying too had

Trying what too hard? Could you be a bit more specific? I can't afford to be a shy person, so I've no problem with loud ties, if loudness is your issue.

juvefan

Reaction score
Trying what too hard? Could you be a bit more specific? I can't afford to be a shy person, so I've no problem with loud ties, if loudness is your issue.

Trying too hard to stand out ... Which if is what you need to do, all the best to ya

Nautilus

Reaction score
They are all really ugly, and I generally don't have a problem with loud ties (I like a lot of Duchamp styles, for example). They do seem old and they look cheap. The colors, the style, the look of the silk, all of it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get rid of all. Get some ties that are not so "busy!"

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
x1,000
Yes.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nautilus
They do seem old and they look cheap.

That leads me to two questions.

(1) How old do they look? 90s? 80s?

(2) How can I see whether ties are of better quality? If the brands won't give me some certainty (the ties above are from Brioni, Givenchy, Altea Milano)...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look extremely 90s. I would only wear #5 in a casual setting (and if I played tennis, which I don't) and burn the rest

stop looking at the back of the tie when choosing ties (labels). look at the front. that's the side other people have to look at when you wear it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads