• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Appropriate "biz casual" outerwear?

nicad2000

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start my first job out of school - the dress code will of course be "business casual". What I'm struggling with is trying to find an appropriate coat to wear during the workday this winter.

I would normally jump at the chance to wear a heavier sport coat such as a tweed but I get the distinct impression that this would not be well received by my co-workers. In my office basically only the managers and partners wear blazers/SC's, and almost never suits. A sad state of affairs, I know. Still, I'd prefer not to be "that guy" at least until I advance myself a bit within the firm.

FWIW, I'm in North Carolina so I don't exactly need to be able to withstand a blizzard.

I should add that my version of business casual is wool trousers and a decent dress shirt (BB, H&H, etc.)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it kind of depends on what you are going for as far as a look. A nice waxed cotton barn or hunting style coat like Barbour makes is a good option. To get more dressy you could try a trench coat with a more modern cut - slimmer and shorter than traditional. An unstructured corduroy jacket would look nice, but shouldn't make you seem like you are pretending to be upper management. Then there is leather or suede. My preference is the latter as I find it less of a potential rebel statement, but there is nothing wrong with the right leather jacket.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something from Barbour like a waxed cotton is indeed an excellent choice.

jtang

Reaction score
Do you mean during the workday around the office or just to and from work?

I'm going to assume it's the latter... and for that you can't go wrong with a good peacoat or topcoat. Both are pretty versatile and can be worn with casual clothes too.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Most likely just to and from the office/clients, so it's nothing I'll actually be wearing indoors with any frequency. Would a 3/4 length topcoat be appropriate without a sport coat or suit underneath? I've been looking at the ones from JAB (I know, I know) as a fairly inexpensive option.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 147 33.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 131 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%