• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Giza 45 shirt got to me today, it's got a beautiful hand, but it's...a little sheer. I'm not exactly sure how to wear it appropriately, originally intended it for a wedding for which I'm in the party, but I don't know if the groom would appreciate my show-stealing nipples.

If you are wearing a coat and tie there shouldn’t be an issue though right?

Interestingly, I had an order arrive today, which included a mask made from each fabric I ordered. I thought that was pretty cool. Don’t expect many other people with a 170’s zephyr light blue reverse stripe mask on. Lol.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are wearing a coat and tie there shouldn’t be an issue though right?

Interestingly, I had an order arrive today, which included a mask made from each fabric I ordered. I thought that was pretty cool. Don’t expect many other people with a 170’s zephyr light blue reverse stripe mask on. Lol.

Heh, I think that's the same fabric I got, in white. I don't know that a coat and tie will cover the nipples up but I hope you're right

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, I think that's the same fabric I got, in white. I don't know that a coat and tie will cover the nipples up but I hope you're right

If you ended up with a white 170’s zephyr then I amend my previous statement. That’s going to be sheer because it’s one of the lightest fabrics DJA produces. In this case, #freethenipple. Lol.

If you wanted something a bit more opaque, but still with Giza 45, a white poplin from the Thomas Mason Buckingham book is quite nice. I have a couple from Apposta and like them a lot. Also, for white fabrics don’t underestimate Giza 87. It’s an amazing, luminous white. There’s a 140’s (the Clarence Egypt I think) on the Apposta site somewhere.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ended up with a white 170’s zephyr then I amend my previous statement. That’s going to be sheer because it’s one of the lightest fabrics DJA produces. In this case, #freethenipple. Lol.

If you wanted something a bit more opaque, but still with Giza 45, a white poplin from the Thomas Mason Buckingham book is quite nice. I have a couple from Apposta and like them a lot. Also, for white fabrics don’t underestimate Giza 87. It’s an amazing, luminous white. There’s a 140’s (the Clarence Egypt I think) on the Apposta site somewhere.

Thanks for the info. I'll see how it looks under a jacket, fortunately the wedding has been postponed for a year so I have some runway if it doesn't work. I wanted something light since it's a summer wedding and I sweat like crazy, but I may have overshot my mark.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Afraid of making the wrong decision so I’m after some advice please on shirt sheer please, so would this be fine for a button down.....information from Apposta site
Any other fabric recommendations would also be appreciated for a light blue button down.....thanks
100% pure cotton Poplin double twisted Giza 45
Fabric name Byron-Kent
Fabric producer Thomas Mason
Weaving Poplin
Weft120/2
Warp120/2
Perceived weight Medium
SeasonalityAll Year Round
SoftnessVery soft
Look Gloss Smooth

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afraid of making the wrong decision so I’m after some advice please on shirt sheer please, so would this be fine for a button down.....information from Apposta site
Any other fabric recommendations would also be appreciated for a light blue button down.....thanks
100% pure cotton Poplin double twisted Giza 45
Fabric name Byron-Kent
Fabric producer Thomas Mason
Weaving Poplin
Weft120/2
Warp120/2
Perceived weight Medium
SeasonalityAll Year Round
SoftnessVery soft
Look Gloss Smooth
DSC00412.jpg

I made almost the same as yours also from Thomas Mason in Giza 45. It's brilliant.

Camerashy

Reaction score
very nice shirt could I ask please is it very transparent or a solid colour and how long are your collar points.....looks good and thanks for your help

Camerashy

Reaction score
Just ordered my first white button down shirt hope I got all my measurements right......time will tell!!

Camerashy

Reaction score
Do the button down shirts have a nice collar roll to them when open

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
very nice shirt could I ask please is it very transparent or a solid colour and how long are your collar points.....looks good and thanks for your help
Do the button down shirts have a nice collar roll to them when open
Giza 45 in poplin is a medium perceived weight, available in a range of hues and colours. For more detailed information on collar points. Button-down collars are considered the most sporty and casual option for shirt wearers. It can be worn with a tie, or open collared for most settings.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Polo Shirt That’s Unique To You

1592577246673.png

Ideal for wearing when temperatures rise, our made-to-measure polo shirts offer the same precise fit that you’d expect from our formal shirts. All designs are Italian-made, crafted from high-quality stretch pique cotton and feature a smart structured collar.

You can choose from nine different colours, pick short or long sleeves and there’s the option to add a button-down collar. Whatever your combination, our polo shirts are guaranteed to keep you comfortable while offering a design and fit that’s unique to you.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Received my white button down this morning and very pleased with the quality and fit now looking at your wide range of fabrics for a few more MTM
Thanks for the face covering which was much appreciated and for all your help and advice Grace

Last edited:

Camerashy

Reaction score
Would you mind explaining your term “perceived weight“ in your fabric definitions please And is there any correlation between this and sheer or the fabrics weft and warp
thanks

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you mind explaining your term “perceived weight“ in your fabric definitions please And is there any correlation between this and sheer or the fabrics weft and warp
thanks
Nice! I am expecting my shirts in the next couple of days. Very excited about the turquoise linen!

Camerashy

Reaction score
Hi Kostas I too have ordered 2 more striped BD in Canclini Squires60 fabric which I’m really looking forward to receiving
Very happy with Apposta and their service

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads