• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to say that I really like Apposta and I’ve placed three orders with them at this point and have worn 3 of the shirts so far. Here are my thoughts:

My initial order arrived and it was obvious pretty quickly that I inputted the cuff measurement incorrectly (I was just cloning a shirt that fit well already). The other place I order shirts (Proper Cloth) uses a buttonhole to button measurement. Apposta uses the entire length of the cuff. That's a noticeable difference and was entirely my fault. So I inquired about whether I could buy some new, larger cuffs and they just remade the shirt for me. That was unexpectedly good customer service and really unnecessary.

I have received the replacement shirt and wore it today actually. All shirts I have received are really nice and well made. All stitching was straight and without issue. The button stitching was well done. There were not extraneous threads on the shirt. They have a touch less stitches per inch than Proper Cloth but I doubt that will have any effect on the shirt over time. Interestingly, and FWIW, the shirts are made in Italy, while PC shirts are made in Vietnam these days.

For measurements, I just used the numbers I use with Proper Cloth. Other than the cuffs, it was a very nice fit. I ordered the "spread" collar, which is a bigger collar and it's perfect for me. It's very similar to the Roma Cutaway that I order from Proper Cloth but a tiny bit smaller.

The mother of pearl buttons are good, but a bit thin and small in diameter. I initially thought I didn’t like the buttons but am now quite happy with them, especially as there is no upcharge for MOP buttons.

The yoke is a one piece yoke whereas you can get a split yoke with other manufacturers. People tout a split yoke as fitting better but I don't notice an issue with this shirt.

As to fabric, for my initial shirt I chose a Thomas Mason Giza 45 twill in light blue and love it. This shade is one shade darker than the blue Proper Cloth offers (Apposta has that fabric and calls is "Cyan"). This brings up a bigger subject. Apposta has a superior fabric offering and they have every fabric I am looking for. I have noticed over time that Proper Cloth has big holes in its offering. By way of example, if I wanted something from the Thomas Mason Hampton collection (their Giza 45 twill offerings), Apposta has every swatch that is offered, which may be 20-25 different ones. Proper Cloth might have 6-7. Maybe...and those are consistently out of stock. I'll give you another example. Proper Cloth has a "Thomas Mason luxury white broadcloth" fabric. It's just a 120/2 poplin. They don't tell you the weight or the book its from, even though Thomas Mason has two different ones, one being lighter in weight than the other; the Byron Kent book and the Portland book respectively. Apposta has both books and everything in them so you can really order exactly what you want. I realize that maybe everyone won't get "that" into details but I do, and I can appreciate a place that allows me to do that.

In addition to the vast fabric selection, their pricing is very good. The same Giza 45 fabrics I’ve been ordering are easily $70-80 more at Proper Cloth than Apposta. Beyond the stitching, button offering (FYI you have to pay extra for MOP buttons at Proper Cloth and you don't at Apposta), and the yoke construction, I really don't see a difference that would merit spending the Proper Cloth premium.

To date, I have placed three orders with Apposta for a grand total of 6 shirts. I intend to place more orders in the future and will probably make the switch to them for MTM shirts going forward
It sounds like aside from the cuff issue, that directly using proper cloth measurements otherwise worked well?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want to say I placed an order, got buyer's remorse and wanted to switch the fabric, and using the chat feature on the site was able to talk to a human (Alessia) who navigated some tricky technical issues and solved my problem within 20 minutes. Seriously top-notch service.
I had also contact with Alessia and Caroline and they were very quick and responsive. I got a light blue button down in Giza 45 I can’t wait!

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had also contact with Alessia and Caroline and they were very quick and responsive. I got a light blue button down in Giza 45 I can’t wait!

I also got a Giza 45, which mill and weave did you go for? I somehow did not have a white dress shirt that fit me so I remedied that.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Giza 45 is great. I think you’ll like it quite a bit.
Me too! I just hope I nailed the sleeve sizing correctly.

I also got a Giza 45, which mill and weave did you go for? I somehow did not have a white dress shirt that fit me so I remedied that.
I got the "Shirt 100% pure cotton Poplin double twisted Giza 45". Fabric name St.James_100 and Thomas Mason.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too! I just hope I nailed the sleeve sizing correctly.

I got the "Shirt 100% pure cotton Poplin double twisted Giza 45". Fabric name St.James_100 and Thomas Mason.

One criticism I do have of Apposta is that they do mislabel fabrics in terms of cotton quality. You usually only see Giza 45 from Thomas Mason or DJA in 140's fabric and above. Maybe St. James is Giza 45, maybe it's not. There's an upgraded St. James that is Giza 87, however (called St. James Egypt). Giza 87 is really nice.

I'll give you another example in my own experience; some of the Thomas Mason Buckingham fabrics are labeled Supima. They aren't. I contacted Albini and all Buckingham fabrics are Giza 45. Apposta also has half of this fabric bunch labeled as DJA. It isn't. It's Thomas Mason. I know both companies are under the Albini umbrella but it's not correct.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Grace, I'm interested in the Plisse_black Tuxedo shirt, but I was wondering whether I could change the collar? Would it be possible to have the Tab collar? ?

You can change the collar style to a Tab collar if you prefer. Please email our customer care team ([email protected]) to add/change any further details after processing your order. They will be happy to update your order.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. Actually, many fabrics are made with a blend of different threads. The ones we marked Supima contain an increased percentage ratio of Supima Cotton to Giza 45. This would have been misleading, and against our values of transparency.

We offer 400 D & J Anderson fabrics out of a library of 4000 fabrics. Not half of the proposal but 10%. Those fabrics listed DJA are indeed from the official DJA fabric books. Yes, they are from the Albini family, but we have taken extra measures to ensure accuracy and transparency, as we believe this is important to us and to our customers.

We are happy to give you a more detailed information regarding our labelling system and list of our fabric supplier houses, please contact [email protected].

Last edited:

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Linen Shirt; An Undisputed Classic.

1588245175543.png

Raffishly sophisticated and coveted by those with gentlemanly taste, linen is commonly the go-to summer shirt fabric due to its crisp appearance and naturally breathable fibres.

Expertly made from the Flax flower in Normandy and with a vibrant colour finish, lightweight and with high moisture absorbency, our Normandy Linen is soft against the skin, the woven material is anti-fade, durable and resistant to damage caused by abrasion.

With a finish that ages gracefully, linen easily goes with everything from bright colours to neutrals. It is an ideal material because it can be business-appropriate or relaxed-casual. All in all, your made to measure linen shirt will not only be a practical solution for everyday wear, but it will also be a superb all-rounder for summertime dressing.

Select from Wrinkle-free linen for a business-appropriate shirt and the Italian linen for a more relaxed and casual attire. If you want something a little different, then either the coloured linen or the printed linen will help you tone down a more formal look.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shirt came in today. I will post pictures later or tomorrow.

best shirt I have ever had in my life. The fit is superb.

They also include a free poplin face mask in the box. What a great gesture.
2F5D851F-A9D1-4B24-818A-86944AD2B767.jpeg

Camerashy

Reaction score
Looking forward to your thoughts Kostas, did you go for a fixed size, sized it yourself or was it cloned from one of your shirts

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to your thoughts Kostas, did you go for a fixed size, sized it yourself or was it cloned from one of your shirts
I measured my best fitting shirt (though forgot which one) it was an Eton or a Suitsupply OTR and put the measurements in. I tried it on for a few minutes with a jacket and its fantastic. I can't even describe the fabric it's incredible. The buttons are very "thin" and I will see how they hold up but overall fantastic. The Button Down collar is also very robust and drapes well creating that nice sliding wavy look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics