• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Applying polish: brushes or cloth?

ELG

Reaction score
I have small brushed to apply polish. But lately, I have noticed that the bristles are becoming hard and rigid from the polish that remains on the brush. Now, I fear they would scratch the shoes, so I have temporarily switched to pieces of cloth. Am I doing something wrong that is causing the brushed to become hard?

Thank you in advance,

ELG

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have small brushed to apply polish. But lately, I have noticed that the bristles are becoming hard and rigid from the polish that remains on the brush. Now, I fear they would scratch the shoes, so I have temporarily switched to pieces of cloth. Am I doing something wrong that is causing the brushed to become hard?
Thank you in advance,
ELG

Me too, so I use a cloth to apply the polish.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use an old cotton undershirt to apply polish and a brush to remove polish followed by a clean cotton undershirt.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you in advance,
ELG

I don't use the application brushes very often - although they do work if you like them.

Your brushes are simply becoming caked with dried up polish. Wash them with very hot water and dishwashing detergent. All of the wax will come out - they will be like new.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use a dauber, I use a strip of polishing cloth wrapped around a finger. Apply polish in a circular motion and then I brush with a horsehair brush once the polish flashes.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Most of the shoe guys I know use a cloth wrapped around their fingers. It allows one to more easily massage in the polish while using less. Brushes are nice if you don't want to get your fingers dirty, though. They soften up pretty quickly once you move them around, which breaks any dried polish.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use a microfiber cloth to apply polish.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a good reason to not just use your finger?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there a good reason to not just use your finger?
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I've tried this, but the polish can be hard to wash off; your finger remains stained for a few days afterward.

Flanderian

Reaction score
I don't know if your question pertains to wax or creme, but I use a paper tissue to apply creme. I very rarely use wax, but if I do, I apply it with my finger tips. If I used it more often, I'd use a tissue. My experience suggests a brush is one of the poorer ways to apply either.

Flanderian

Reaction score

I've tried this, but the polish can be hard to wash off; your finger remains stained for a few days afterward.

Not if you use a damp cloth with saddle soap afterward. It comes right off.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Good to know, I'll give this a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads