• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Applying for a job at Banana Republic...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Banana Republic's opening soon here, and I'm applying for it. Just wondering, what's the best way to say that I have a good knowledge and passion for clothing? Problem is, I have no retail experience so I have to rely on the fact that I've just worked with customers before at a grocery store and a pizza place. I do have experience working a cash register, which helps. I'm applying for Customer Service, which I assume is working on the floor. Additionally I may apply for Visual Merchandising/Stock. Any suggestions?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell them that you can easily teach someone how to sell, but product knowledge and a passion for the product type are tougher to nail.

If that doesn't work, remind them that bricks and mortar clothing retail sales is more about knowledge and personality than traditional sales and marketing. Banana Republic's excellent ad campaign and image (cough, sputter) should already have brought the customer in the door. All you need to do is make it a pleasant experience, provide value, and increase revenue.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Hrm, yes. Thanks.
smile.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
remind them that bricks and mortar clothing retail sales is more about knowledge and personality than traditional sales and marketing. Banana Republic's excellent ad campaign and image (cough, sputter) should already have brought the customer in the door. All you need to do is make it a pleasant experience, provide value, and increase revenue.

If you say all that with a straight face, you will have a fine career in sales (or lawyering). Good luck.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Indeed. I'll have to remember all this if I have an interview, too.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Tell them that you can easily teach someone how to sell, but product knowledge and a passion for the product type are tougher to nail.

If that doesn't work, remind them that bricks and mortar clothing retail sales is more about knowledge and personality than traditional sales and marketing. Banana Republic's excellent ad campaign and image (cough, sputter) should already have brought the customer in the door. All you need to do is make it a pleasant experience, provide value, and increase revenue.

And convince customers to open up Banana Republic credit card accounts. I've worked part-time at a BR for three years now, and during that time the pressure to open up BR card accounts has increased a lot. Ideally, every single customer who walks through the door is supposed to hear the spiel about the card three times: on the salesfloor, in the fitting room, and at the cashwrap. It's my least favorite part of working there.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^where do you think the largest chunk of revenue growth for BR and most other retailers is? Everyone's trying to add to their bottom lines with pure profit interest income. The toothless hag who checked me out at KMart the other day asked me three times while I stood at the counter if I want to open a Sears charge account. As a close, she said, "You'll save 10% on today's purchases!" My purchase was 2 for $1 Snickers bars and a box of generic lightbulbs!

metaphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
The toothless hag who checked me out at KMart the other day asked me three times while I stood at the counter if I want to open a Sears charge account. As a close, she said, "You'll save 10% on today's purchases!" My purchase was 2 for $1 Snickers bars and a box of generic lightbulbs!

This is likely a K-Mart/Sears company policy. Gap Inc. employs the same strategy; employees are supposed to ask customers if they want to open a Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy account to save 10% on their purchase, and to list other benefits after the first "no."

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew V.
And convince customers to open up Banana Republic credit card accounts. I've worked part-time at a BR for three years now, and during that time the pressure to open up BR card accounts has increased a lot. Ideally, every single customer who walks through the door is supposed to hear the spiel about the card three times: on the salesfloor, in the fitting room, and at the cashwrap. It's my least favorite part of working there.
Thanks for letting me know ahead of time. I've had to do similar things working at two pizza places here in town. At Rigatelli's: "Would you like to make those two slices into a combo?" At Hungry Howie's: "Would you like to add a two litre Coke and Howie Bread to that order?" Definitely not my favourite part either, but I'll deal with it if I'm hired.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not a fun place to work, or at least it wasn't fifteen years ago when I worked there. The girls can be cute, and fringe benefits are (were) definitely available, but the GAP is a tough boss to deal with.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd be happy working anywhere with clothing just to get some much needed retail experience.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
If you say all that with a straight face, you will have a fine career in sales (or lawyering). Good luck.

Wow, you tagged me . . . I'm an in-house counsel who dabbles on the sales side too. You're not a psychiatrist by any chance are you? ;-)

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Thanks for letting me know ahead of time. I've had to do similar things working at two pizza places here in town. At Rigatelli's: "Would you like to make those two slices into a combo?" At Hungry Howie's: "Would you like to add a two litre Coke and Howie Bread to that order?" Definitely not my favourite part either, but I'll deal with it if I'm hired.

Get in the door; when you're the top salesman and a store resource, you can tell them to stick their charge card pitch where the sun don't shine.
devil.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Wow, you tagged me . . . I'm an in-house counsel who dabbles on the sales side too. You're not a psychiatrist by any chance are you? ;-)

Nope, just a lawyer!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads