• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Applying for a job and pissing off superiors

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Long story short: a good opportunity elsewhere in my organization has opened up. If I send in a resume and do an interview, there is a chance that my bosses here would find out. I'm concerned about this...what if it's seen as me wanting to leave, etc.? Kind of torn as to what to do.

It's not a once-in-a-lifetime gig....but it would come with a $4-5K raise and a much higher profile in the organization.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will seem as you want to leave. Simple.
If it's an opportunity, go for it!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone advised me to stop over there tomorrow morning, talk to the person who will be doing the interview, and say something along the lines of "Can we do this discreetly? I took Job X as a stepping stone to get something more challenging, but I don't want to tell my boss about interviewing at this time."

It may be more risk than it's worth, as the promotion I am in line for here nets me another $5k and it usually takes under a year to get that offer.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you're bosses already hate you. don't worry.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

laugh.gif
You make a good point.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Someone advised me to stop over there tomorrow morning, talk to the person who will be doing the interview, and say something along the lines of "Can we do this discreetly? I took Job X as a stepping stone to get something more challenging, but I don't want to tell my boss about interviewing at this time."

It may be more risk than it's worth, as the promotion I am in line for here nets me another $5k and it usually takes under a year to get that offer.

You mean nets your parents, right?

Originally Posted by globetrotter

This.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless the organization has strict guidelines for a time frame before they'll move you I can't see the harm in applying. I think if anything most places want to move you up or move you out rather than have stagnant employees.

I think if you talk to the interviewer before hand you're condemning yourself.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually you are supposed to tell your current boss when you are looking for a new job at your current employer. Better check. .

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go to your boss and explain that the job that is available is a good opportunity and difficult to get. You are entry level, right? Surely, no manager would expect an employee to be entry-level forever. Since you are staying in the same organization, it should be no trouble.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was on "no" today, but now I'm on yes. I think I need to go for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I thought you were currently unemployed?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I thought you were currently unemployed?
I got to an office and collect a paycheck but I don't actually do anything.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Really, my only concern with this is word of my application getting back to my superiors. My current department works closely with this office to which I'm applying, so unless I get a confirmation from them that it's "under wraps" I'd be hesitant to go through with it. What happens if I don't get this new job and I piss off my bosses? They could pass me up for a promotion at will.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I got to an office and collect a paycheck but I don't actually do anything.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Really, my only concern with this is word of my application getting back to my superiors. My current department works closely with this office to which I'm applying, so unless I get a confirmation from them that it's "under wraps" I'd be hesitant to go through with it. What happens if I don't get this new job and I piss off my bosses? They could pass me up for a promotion at will.

When you play the Game of Thrones, you win, or you die.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
When you play the Game of Thrones, you win, or you die.

worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads