Applying Brown Polish to Chestnut Shoes: Terrible Idea?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrd617, Apr 9, 2013.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I would hesitae on outrightly applying brown polishes over this colour and finish. Though I don't own this exact shoe, I have tried using polishes in the past to remedy similar concerns and it never did give satisfactory results. I would recommend having a competant cobbler re-dye them and it won't take much. Perhaps even just a dye wash to alter the tint. Shouldn't cost you more than $25. The biggest challenge is to find a reputable cobbler in your area or, perhaps contacting our SF member Ron Rider for an estimate. Personally I love the colour of your Draycott's and would gladly leave as is. Chestnut is a gorgeous colour.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

3. bertie

bertie Senior member

Let me also try and pursuade you to love the colour. I admit I don't wear mine much in the winter except when I wear light to mid-grey pants (usually flannel). They really come into their own in summer with cream, tan, light blue and other lighter coloured pants. I have a couple pairs of AE in chili and that is a redder hue than the C&J chestnut but I still find them very versatile.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. Except the not wearing them in the winter part since I wear medium grey flannel trousers most days when it's cold.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I don't think it would work.