• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Application/Reference Ettiquette Question

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by a former professor with whom I've remained friends (and with whom MrsG is close friends). The professor asked for my work contact information so that she could put me in touch with one of her former students (StudentM), who is applying for a position in my department. I should note that position is in my department, but it's a completely different division.

StudentM subsequently sent me an email asking about the job, application process, etc. I was happy to help her out, and we corresponded a couple of times regarding the job. She never asked if I'd put in a good word for her, nor did I offer to do so, given I don't know her.

This morning, StudentM forwarded to me an email she sent to the division administrator who supervises the relevant division. In the email she refers to me as her "former MPA classmate MrG," stating "I'd been a great help in guiding [her] through the application process." I was really put off by the fact that she used my name without asking, and it reads to me as if she's implying some sort of endorsement of her as a candidate. I gladly helped her with the application, but I know nothing about this woman other than the fact that she went to the same grad school as me and she, apparently, shares a mutual professor/friend.

Am I off base in being a bit bothered that she dropped my name without asking? I'm willing to believe I'm being over sensitive here, but it just struck me as odd that she wouldn't at least ask before using my name in her application.

Egert

Reaction score
Obviously, it depens on whether she is hot or not...

Actually, I would look at this as desperate on her side, but can't really see any harm that it does you, unless you are her sole reference and she screws something up really bad...

Common sense is that you should use people whom you've worked with as reference, because when the HR contacts you about her, you really don't have anything to say, do you? And the HR will make it's own conclusions regarding her reference picks...

deandbn

Reaction score
I would feel like i was being used. I would also refer any further correspondence to your HR dept for answer/comment.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Yes, MrG this is not proper use of a reference. In fact, it is not really attaining your endorsement. Reflects poorly on her communication skills. She should have asked if you could facilitate a warm introduction.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
she is using you like a plumber uses tools!!!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for the input. I'm pretty protective of my name, and I don't give references for people I don't know, so I thought maybe I was bothered when I shouldn't have been.

I don't think she sees me as a true reference. My guess is that she views me as an "in."

Now the question becomes: Do I mention this to the division administrator who is doing the hiring? I don't want to sabotage this woman, but I'm not thrilled about the fact that there's a possibility that the administrator thinks I've provided a tacit endorsement of her.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she asked, would you have said yes?

Me thinks you wouldn't have. Unless, of course, like stated above, she's hot.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 9.3%